xiii • tabish

"It doesn't have to be this way just because Mama said so

"It doesn't have to be this way just because Mama said so."

"What doesn't have to be what way?" Daneen questioned as she moved the hot iron over Ammi Jaan's shirt.

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about," Tabish spoke in a higher pitch than he intended to as he stepped around the iron stand. "It can still happen."

"What can still happen?"

Tabish pursed his lips. This girl knew exactly what strings to pull. He answered after a moment of silence. "Us."

"As far as I remember, you happened twenty three years ago and I twenty one. Or did I get something wrong?"

"Yes," Tabish followed her movements. "You got it wrong. Most of it."

"Mm hmm?"

"Daneen, listen to me!"

"I'm listening."

Tabish ran a hand through his hair and leaned against the wall of the laundry room, watching Daneen's precise movements as she pressed the iron over Ammi Jaan's shirt.

"I did not want to have this conversation with you."

"Who forced you?"

"My obvious lik—Ammi Jaan. Ammi Jaan did."

"And we can't refuse her, can we?"

Tabish stood in silence, assessing whether the situation was suitable enough for him to ask her.

"Are you really going away?"

Daneen looked up in surprise. "No Tabish, I'm not."

"It really sounded like you were going away." Tabish recalled the reclusive way Daneen had told Ammi Jaan she'd be going back to her parents for a few weeks. "For good."

"I need a break. Some time to think."

"I promise I won't disturb you. I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise—"

"—and pretending that I don't exist," Daneen completed with a smile. "Thank you. But it's not about you."

"Famous last words?"

Daneen turned off the switch for the iron. "Let's hope no Dobby shows up."

"