xxxix • tabish

Evening fell as their car rounded right outside Daneen's doorstep

Evening fell as their car rounded right outside Daneen's doorstep. Abnosh and Badar had never seen the place before and by the emotions that passed over their faces, Tabish guessed his sister and best friend were wondering what a stark contrast their bungalows were to this small four walled building.

Tabish knocked once, twice, three times before Daneen's mother appeared at the door, slight agitation lining her face.

"Assalamualaikum," Tabish murmured. "I'm Tabish."

Ammara was doing a horrible job at keeping the annoyance off her face. "Walaekumasalam. About time."

Abnosh raised an eyebrow as they sat down on the living room sofas. "So apparently, the entire human population is rooting for you two?"

Badar leaned over and looked at Abnosh. "Finally caught up you."

Tabish just rolled his eyes, about to present the most invalid reason ever when Ammara returned, followed by Abbas.

"Daneen isn't at home," Ammara spoke, setting a tray of two glasses and a pot of water on the table.

"She went job hunting," Abbas answered their unspoken question.

"I don't see the need for that..." Abnosh murmured. "I mean, she was very well accommodated at our home."

The sincerity in Ammara's smile was long gone. "You think we don't know anything?"

Abnosh and Tabish shared a glance.

"There is absolutely no excuse for the way she treated Daneen," Abnosh worded her thoughts. "And me and Tabish had no hand in it."

"I don't think you understand how this works, sweetheart," Ammara said, shifting in her seat, casting a glance at her husband. "Me and Daneen's father sent her out to you after being reassured she would be well taken care of in that house. But we should have known. If the three of you found it too troublesome to look after your grandmother, what guarantee would you give to treat an employee right?"

 If the three of you found it too troublesome to look after your grandmother, what guarantee would you give to treat an employee right?"