xxviii • tabish

Tabish threw his phone to the side just as the doorbell rang, and before one of the house help could rush over, he leapt for the door

"I missed your stupid face," Tabish laughed as he gave Badar a side hug and closed the door behind him, leading him to the living room.

"Mubarra missed yours," Badar said, grinning knowingly, earning him a roll of the eyes from Tabish.

Tabish had been skipping university lectures for a few days now-ever since Abnosh had made her appearance at home-with the excuse of spending as much time with his sister as he could. But really, Abnosh wasn't interacting half as much with him as she was with Daneen, and even now, the two were seated in the living room.

Tabish put a pillow on his lap as Badar settled down. "It's never happening, haven't you told her that?"

Badar looked away, raising his eyebrows. "It may have slipped my mind..."

Tabish threw the pillow at him, which Badar dodged expertly. "You set me up with her, you get her hopes up and then you don't even tell her I'm not interested. Badar!"

"It's wrong to keep her waiting, but it's even wronger to keep her waiting for absolutely no reason." Badar sighed. "Dude, you're not even doing anything about your frenemyship with Daneen. How do I ask Mubarra to step down when she still has a chance?"

"She doesn't. It is as simple-"

"-and as complicated as that. You're not anywhere close to being with Daneen-"

"-and neither am I anywhere far from it. She knows."

Badar's eyes widened. "She what?"

Tabish leaned back into his seat, running a hand through his hair, a slight tremor in his hands. "I've tested the waters. Plenty of times."

"And?"

Tabish held another pillow to his chest. "Turbulent."

"