xxxvi • tabish

Abnosh bit her lip in worry

Abnosh bit her lip in worry. "Why isn't he picking up?"

"I don't know," Tabish cried out in frustration before he dialed the number once again. "Pick up, Badar!"

"Tabish?" Badar spoke as he answered the call. "Get ready to have your-"

"She's gone," Tabish said, voice trembling. "She left. Last night. I don't know when. We need to go after her-"

"Okay okay chill," Badar spoke, but Tabish wasn't having any of it. "Just chill. You know where she lives, don't you?"

Tabish sucked in a breath of air. "She left at night, Badar! Travelling at night isn't safe for us men as it is, we don't even-"

Abnosh grabbed the phone from Tabish seeing as her brother was in no condition to speak coherently and understandably.

"Get to our place as soon as you can," Abnosh spoke, sharp and clear. She continued to rat off other details Tabish's mind was too much in a daze to comprehend.

Tabish lowered himself on his bed, his heart going into overdrive. He should not have, but he couldn't help but picture the worst possible scenarios. Not even a whole day since she left, and he was having a ridiculously hard time breathing, how would he live through the rest of his life?

Tabish hated how well he understood her, how he should have anticipated a move like this from her side, how this outcome was all the more inevitable. Of course she would run away. That is what she had done all her life-run away from anything that threatened to disrupt the peace she had found in her misery.

And as Abnosh shook her brother out of his trance, he knew there was just one silent plea she could read in his eyes for Daneen.

Please be okay, love.