xlv • epilogue

Daneen held back her laughter as she watched Badar make a complete fool of himself, clapping his hands and moving in the crowd to the loud beats of the dholak

Daneen held back her laughter as she watched Badar make a complete fool of himself, clapping his hands and moving in the crowd to the loud beats of the dholak. Even as the rest of the boys joined in, singing and screaming at the top of their voices, Badar was a sight to see.

Tabish had told her a lot about the guy who had been central to his life for almost four years now, and one of the many contributors to where Daneen and Tabish currently stood.

The first time Daneen was acquainted with Badar in person, the guy had been quiet and reclusive, choosing to just barely say a word. But Daneen had warmed up to him pretty soon and before she knew it, Badar was a brother to her.

"Bhabhi, come here!" Badar shouted over the crowd, but Daneen shook her head, the jhumkas on her ears swaying with the movement.

Daneen sat on the carpeted floor, a bright yellow dress gracing her finger, gajras on her wrists and a mesmerizing sparkle in her eyes. Surrounding her were her cousin sisters and aunts, all clapping along to the dholak.

"That's not fair!" Badar said, walking over to where Daneen sat. Badar lowered himself down on the empty space before Daneen, and put both his hands under his chin.

"Tabish would be very angry at me."

"Isn't he always?" Daneen laughed. It did not slip her notice how Badar kept glancing at Tayyaba, Daneen's cousin, as gorgeous as she looked.

"He specifically ordered me to include you in the festivities. Why don't you get all your friends to come along with me?"

"Don't worry, Badar." Daneen smiled knowingly. "I know who to send off with you."

Then Daneen turned to her side, poking a finger at Tayyaba who was on her phone. "Say Tabs, I need a glass of water. Why don't you and Badar go get it for me from the other side of the house?"

Badar's smile could light up the room. He got on his feet and waited until Tayyaba was done casting Daneen her glare. She watched the two walk off, with Badar standing exceptionally close to Tayyaba. He did look handsome in his white salwar kameez and brown shawl, he'd win Tayyaba over in no time.

Daneen's gaze travelled back to the crowd. All she saw was blurs of yellow, orange and green as more people joined in on the dholak and the spaces beside her emptied, until the only person left was Abnosh.

"Are you enjoying your mehendi?" Abnosh questioned, adjusting the yellow dupatta on Daneen's head.

"Well..." Daneen trailed off, eyeing Abnosh.

Abnosh laughed as she got to her feet. "I'll be right back."

Daneen looked up as Tabish took a seat on the floor. He scooted closer to her until their knees touched, and Daneen glared at him, trying not to stare.

"Why do you always do this?"

Tabish slipped his hand into Daneen's. "Do what?"

Daneen pointed to their clasped hands. "This."

"I have rights."

"You can exercise your rights when we're not in a room full of people," Daneen muttered, pulling her hand away.

Tabish slipped his fingers through hers again. "Say what?"

"Tabish," Daneen groaned. "My dad is in this room!"

"So you're saying your father never held your mother's hand?"

"No."

"But I love you."

"Thank you. Now move."

"I'm going."

"Go."

"I'm going."

"Go."

"I'm going, Daneen."

Tabish moved to stand up, but Daneen grabbed his hand and pulled him back down. Tabish smiled down at her hand on his wrist, and Daneen immediately retracted it.

Tabish looked away. "Do you think Badar's serious about Tayyaba?"

"He's absolutely smitten," Daneen spoke, her lips spreading into a mischievous smile. "Come to think of it, he reminds me an awful lot about someone."

Tabish sighed dramatically. "You're too evil to be real."

"The shy smiles, the stolen glances... I almost remember being as embarrassed as Tayyaba. Guys are never very secular with their feelings, no?"

Tabish glared at her.

Daneen laughed. "You're cute."

Tabish leaned in and placed a delicate kiss on her cheek, catching her off guard. Her cheeks hued pink.

"There's something I've been meaning to say to you, Daneen."

Daneen looked at her fingers, the air around them warm and electric. "Yes?"

Tabish pursed his lips, his gaze travelling to the crowd before he looked back at Daneen. Their faces were just inches away. "The prince was heartbroken after Cinderella left. He went around town with her glass slipper, hoping against all odds he'd find his Ella soon. And when he did..."

Daneen met his gaze. Soft and warm.

"He knew he'd found the girl he fell in love with. Regardless of where she came from."

My eyes are crying

My eyes are crying. My heart is crying. All of me is crying. I love you, Daneen and Tabish. Thank you for everything. ❤️