xxiii • daneen

Please comment loads not only on this chapter but all future ones 🥺 I love reading comments 😭

Daneen pushed the door open with her elbow, the crockery she was carrying on a tray rattling in the process

Daneen pushed the door open with her elbow, the crockery she was carrying on a tray rattling in the process. As she walked further into Ammi Jaan's room, the hushed whispers became clearer.

Daneen set the tray down before Ammi Jaan and another woman she presumed to be the older woman's acquanitance, similar to Ammi in appearance and of around her age as well. Daneen felt quite relaxed in her presence.

As Daneen began making the tea, pouring in the qahwa first and then following it up with milk, she couldn't help but catch a few words of their conversation.

"I'm afraid Fareeda is going to make Abnosh drink the same poison she herself gulped down so willingly," Ammi Jaan spoke, watching Daneen's movements.

"Waheed seemed worried over her. I heard them talking over the phone."

"She's despicable."

Daneen almost spilled milk around the cup.

"She never asked for the divorce," the other woman whispered. "You thought she did."

"What's the difference if they were to be divorced anyway?" Ammi Jaan snapped, face flushed. Why did she look so embarrassed? "My son would've lived the rest of his life as a divorcé."

"He chose to divorce her-"

"Daneen, are you done, meri jaan?" Ammi Jaan broke off the old lady, turning her gaze towards Daneen.

Daneen nodded, placing the plate of biscuits on the table before she carried the empty tray to the door. She turned around once, catching a glimpse of Ammi Jaan's piercing stare before she closed the door and left.

Daneen retraced her steps back to the kitchen, lost in wonder over what she'd just heard.

"Hello."

Daneen looked up at Tabish, carelessly seated on the counter as if he had nothing better to do.

"Get a job," Daneen muttered, before she raised her voice. "Oh wait, you already do. Tea three times a day, no?"

Tabish smiled sheepishly.

"Can I have a cup?"