xxxvii • tabish

Tabish slid the letter over the counter towards Fareeda

Tabish slid the letter over the counter towards Fareeda. "She's gone."

Fareeda pulled a pack of raw chicken out of the freezer. "I know."

"You knew? When?"

"I saw her leave."

And you didn't stop her?"

"Why would I?" Fareeda turned around, her eyes boring into Tabish's. "This is a free country and she wanted to leave."

"Are you really as oblivious or do you simply pretend to be?" Abnosh said, entering the kitchen. She had clearly been eavesdropping on the conversation, but when she came to stand next to Tabish defensively, their stances weren't that different. "Even the jinns in this house know Tabish likes Daneen."

"I can't force her to be with you," Fareeda retorted, her eyes clouded. "A relationship goes both ways."

"You sound like you've some experience," Abnosh said.

Fareeda let out a raggedy breath. "Don't go after her, Tabish. Let her be."

Tabish creased his brows. "I don't have any reason to just let her be, Mama. I'm going."

"You won't go."

"I will."

"Tabish, you won't," Fareeda pressed.

"I'm not allowed to disobey you unless you're asking me to do something immoral. But there is nothing immoral about me going after Daneen when my intention is to marry her. You can't stop me."

"She doesn't want to be with you. You cannot force her."

"She confessed." Tabish walked to the space next to Fareeda, his voice lowered. "Last night."

Fareeda looked at him for a minute before she turned her gaze away.

Abnosh and Tabish shared a silent look. Abnosh then slowly walked over to Fareeda, who had her hand on the counter while the other was balled up in her lap. Abnosh didn't touch her, but she stood close.

"Mama," Abnosh started. "If you come, I'll know you genuinely want to fix this. Things do not have to go back to how they were, but they can be better than they are. Please come with us."

Fareeda matched Abnosh's gaze. While the girl's eyes had turned soft, Fareeda's were still conflicted. Abnosh could see the battle raging in her, playing all over her face.

"Come," Tabish pleaded. "Come because Baba would have wanted this."

Fareeda watched as Abnosh, the daughter she hadn't come into physical contact with for months upon months, slid her hand over her mother's.

But Fareeda slid her hand back.