xx • daneen

Daneen widened her eyes

Daneen widened her eyes. Heat rose to her face, and the lighthearted waves of the wind did nothing to cool it down.

She took a step closer to him, her gait challenging. "You used me."

"If you'd just listen to me, maybe I wouldn't have to look for other ways."

Daneen poked a finger into his chest. "Your status does not give you the free pass to embarrass me like this."

Tabish winced, putting a hand over the spot she'd hit. "Do you have ceramic in your fingers?"

"I sure do have a whole lot of it in my heart," Daneen hissed, preparing her next words when another car rolled into the driveway, big and black.

A smile spread across Tabish's features, and Daneen, ignoring the little flip her heart did, waited in anticipation as the door opened, and stepped out perhaps the only person of this family besides Ammi Jaan who could ease her nerves.

Abnosh.

Hair in a low ponytail, cheeks and nose pink from the cold and eyes set on the little brother who seemed to forget everything in her presence-Daneen couldn't hold back the ghost of a smile at the sight of her.

She looked sideways at Tabish, flowers blooming in her chest at the stars in his eyes. Her gaze trailed down to her bag still clasped in his hands, and she reached over for it, but he was too good for her.

Tabish held it away. "You were saying?"

 "You were saying?"