28 | Game Of Thrones

Suho was walking home after coming back from university for holidays, and stopped when saw someone waiting for him there. He almost thought it was his sister, but as he came closer, he was face to face with Irene.

"Irene?" He voiced out, and she turned around to see him. "What are you doing here?"

"We went to palace for dinner, and now I'm supposed to go home." Irene went to him, and scanned his face. "Then, I saw you from the bus, and climbed down to meet you."

"Is something wrong?" Suho frowned but then widened his eyes. "Where is Hera? Is it about her? Is she okay?"

"She's good. Must be back in hostel by now." Irene intertwined her hands, trying to look strong enough to talk to him. "I'm not here because of her."

His frown deepened. "I'm not understanding-"

"I like you," She blurted out, "I have crush on you for months now, but-"

"But?"

"The queen asked for me after dinner, and... she has chosen me for Baekhyun. To be the queen of South Korea in the future." She gulped. "And, I said, yes."

Suho stared at her. "You said yes?" He fluttered his eyes. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because... I have siblings and I need to look after them," she whispered as tears rolled down her cheeks. "I'm not well off to give them the life I want for them. I need to do this. You shall take care of Hera, and tell her I'm sorry-"

"Hera?" Suho placed his hands over her shoulders as he stared into her eyes, now shocked. "What does it have to do with Hera?"

"She loves Baekhyun, and he loves her too but the queen doesn't want their union," Irene choked out. "The queen herself has asked me for this. I can't say no. My family has faced a lot of hardships in life, it's my chance to give them a great life ahead."

"Hera is your friend!" Suho was angry now. He had a crush on Irene, yes, but his sister's heart came before anyone. Even before his. "How can you do that to her-"

"She's not my family!" Irene shouted back. "I want my family to be happy. How is it bad? It's not my fault to be poor!"

"Then it's not her fault either. The queen has no right to choose for Baekhyun, and even if she has, she has no right to throw my sister out of the equation like this!" He pulled her to him, and gritted his teeth. "You're being selfish here."

"The queen will come up with a new way to throw Hera aside if I won't agree!"

"So, instead of having someone else ruin them, you do it yourself?" Suho asked in disbelief. "Were you always like this? Or I understood you wrong?"

Irene gulped, remembering all the things the queen has offered to her, and how happy her family could be with this deal. She stared at him, and smiled. "Family above all."