1

RECAP

"I'd like to speak with you in private." I nodded at Naomi's request.

I took Naomi's hand and stood up from the chair. I was confused why she dropped my hand once we were outside the compound. She was a few paces ahead of me, so I had to jog to catch up. I had absolutely no idea where she was leading me to. I could feel Tae's presence, but he was allowing some distance between us. We walked onto a clearing in the forest. Naomi finally turned around with a pained expression.

"What's wrong?" I took her hands in mine. "You're scaring me, Mimi." Tears lined my eyes when I felt her pull her hands away.

"I-I think it'd be best if we aren't together anymore." My eyes widened at her words. "It's-"

"Why?!" I was now crying. "What happened? What changed? We were happy and-"

"I can't live with myself after the hell I put you through. I was the reason for your suffering, meeting Mel's parents, almost dying." She took a deep breath and looked away. "Seeing you everyday is a constant reminder of me ruining you!"

"You think I'm ruined?" I gasped.

"No- I... I am so sorry, Zena... but I have to let you go-"

"But I don't want you to let me go! I want to be with you!" I grabbed her hands. "You told me to stay! I chose not to die for you! And now... you're leaving me?! You're being so selfish!" She sighed and looked down. "Look at me!" She sheepishly met my eyes. "You told me you love me." My voice wavered. "Was that a lie?"

"NO!" She rushed out. "Everything I said was true, but-"

"But what?! Why are you breaking my heart again?!" I screamed at her.

"I'm so sorry, Zena." I wrapped my arms around her, refusing to let her go. "I do love you, but my parents are after you and they'll be even more vicious if I'm with you." I looked to see her teary eyes. "I have to let you go if I really love you... I can't be the reason you die." She choked on her words.

"Nao-"

"I'm sorry... you will always be my amore." She pulled my face upwards and passionately kissed me. "You will always be the love of my life, my soulmate, and my everything... I love you so much... but it's time for me to say goodbye." She rested her forehead against mine. "Take care, amore."

Her lips ghosted over mine one last time. By the time I blinked, she had teleported away. I screamed in anguish and fell to my knees. I was a sobbing mess. I felt strong arms wrap me in a tight embrace. I clung onto Tae and wet his shirt with tears. He stayed in the position and allowed me to cry my eyes out.

STORY BEGINS

"Oh, Tae... she has truly broken me. Tae, it hurts so bad." I squeezed him tighter. "My heart hurts." I stuttered.

"I shall carry you back-"

"No!" I quickly shook my head. "Everyone is in high spirits... I don't want to bring the mood down." I cried into him. "I'm sorry. You were with Nick and-"

"Do not apologize, Z." He softly said. "I shall stay in this position as long as you would like."

"Thank you." I coughed. "Why, Tae? Why did she leave me?"

"I do not want to misinterpret her thoughts, so I shall stay mum." He stated. "I'll be here though." I snuggled deeper into him.

X

Tae had carried me out the woods and onto a cliff. I had my head on his shoulder as I gazed at the crashing waves. Tae held my hand and gave it reassuring squeezes. I sighed and closed my eyes. The gentle waves were doing the opposite of soothing my heart. It made me feel even lonelier. Maybe I wasn't destined for love.

I had it as a child and it got stripped from me for 10 years. I then reunited with my parents and received their parental love. I had platonic love in my friends and ... romantic love in Naomi. But she left me and I'm heartbroken. My mate left me.

I've never heard of a mate leaving the other. That means that there really is something wrong with me. Was it my personality or the demons I hid inside? I could feel Kimbra and Sloane becoming depressed. It really said something since the two were comforting the other. They were normally at the other's throat, but we needed as much comfort at the moment.

"Even if you choose not to tell your parents..." I lifted my head to look at Tae. "They'll be able to sense your sadness... plus, they'll know something is wrong by looking at you."

"I know." I sighed out. "But I don't want to talk about her because..." I began choking on sobs. "It's just so painful to remember." I began crying again.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean- oh, Zena." He hugged me tighter.

Tae and I sat on the cliff until nightfall. I was too weak to walk, so he gave me a piggyback ride. He slowly walked to the villa since he knew I was delaying our arrival. Tae actually stopped to buy me some gelato. His face fell when I ate the treat dejectedly. I tried to force a smile, but it came out as a grimace.

I sighed when the villa came into sight. Tae heard my sigh and made his steps even smaller. I smiled at his consideration for me. When we reached the gate, I spoke to him.

"Can you tell everyone I was sleepy, so I went to bed." He gave me a nod at my request. "Thanks, Tae." I leaned against his back.

He sped to my room, avoiding everyone. I jumped off his back and gave him a hug before closing my door. I then flopped onto my bed and turned on my side. I grabbed a pillow and clutched it to my chest. I silently cried until I was hyperventilating. I quickly steadied my breaths since I didn't want anyone checking on me.

I stared at my open balcony doors. I was praying Naomi would materialize in my room and tell me she regretted everything. My hopes slowly dismissed as the minutes ticked by. She wasn't coming. Her decision to leave me was final. I love her, but her love for me isn't strong enough to compel her to stay.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to sleep, but I couldn't. Maybe if I sleep... I'll see her in my dreams! I tried to sleep even harder, but I couldn't. I was becoming more frustrated by the second. I just want to see Naomi! Let me see her, please. Please, I need her.

I rolled onto my back and stared at the ceiling. Even with all the torture methods Dr. Abramovich did, he wasn't able to hurt me as deeply as Naomi had. She captured my heart, only to rip it out. My eyes burned with unshed tears. I turned my head to view the full moon. The light illuminated my room and I was able to see how empty I felt that my love wasn't here anymore.

"Why?" I whispered.