26- Ian

Any man who can keep a secret may be wise, but the truth is, he's not half as bright as a man with no secrets to keep.

So, now the choice is mine. Do I tell Tawny everything I know? Or do I keep it all inside as I've done in the past?

This situation alone brings me back to the day my best friend asked me not to say a word about what I knew and when I lost him as a friend.

I hid Stevie's secret for months after walking in on him, shooting heroin into his arm, and it ended up biting me in the ass the day he overdosed. And it's been killing me ever since—killing me; I never said anything about Stevie using drugs to his parents, as well as mine, as I desperately wanted to. But because I promised Stevie I'd never tell a soul, in exchange, he got help. I said nothing.

And I've regretted it ever since.

I should have said something. Had I done so, Stevie would probably still be here today.

Yesterday, Roman asked me not to tell Tawny about what he talked to me about, fearing she'll never want to talk to or see him again, and I'm not so sure I can keep anything from her.

Not this.

Tawny deserves to know everything.

I never did give Roman my word. I only assured him that everything would work out. Hopefully, that'll be the case. Because I've decided it'll be best not to keep what I know about Tawny's mother and father.

My only problem is, I don't know how or when I should tell her. Do I tell her now and ruin the rest of the day? Or do I wait until after I enjoy my day with her? As I contemplated what to do, I sat quietly watching Tawny take a bite of her strawberry as she looked out the window, watching the people walk to and from their cars. Since leaving her trailer, she hasn't said a word, and I don't blame her.

Tawny knows I'm about to drop a bomb on her.

"How's your breakfast?" I asked, hoping to hear her speak, finally.

"It's good, thanks," she quietly said, still looking out the window.

My lips twisted, and then I bit my bottom lip, thinking about what I should say to get her to look at me. "Remind me to pick up some strawberries later." Maybe that wasn't the best thing I could have said, but it got her to look at me, anyway.

"Why?"

I pointed at her plate. "Because you seem to like them. All that's left on your plate are the ends. Plus, I was thinking we could have some fun with those strawberries later," I winked, hoping to get a smile out of her. Unfortunately, I didn't get one, so I continued pushing. "Along with some whipped cream."

Finally, I got a smile. It was only a small one, but I'll take it.

"Sounds fun, but I think I'll take a rain check."

And just like that, her smile was gone.

Crap...

I reached across the table, grabbed hold of her hands, and looked into her saddened eyes. "Tawny, about yesterday..." I sighed. Thankfully, she cut me off. Because I was seconds away from telling everything I knew, most likely ruining what I had planned for us next.

"I know. You already apologized, and I thank you for doing so. But that hasn't stopped me from thinking about why you still couldn't have sent me a simple text saying you were busy and that you'd talk to me later."

"I know, and you're right. That's something I should have done. But I'm here now, and I'm ready to make it up to you."

"But I also can't stop thinking about who you were busy with."