58. Hospital

Kao’s legs continued to tap the hospital floor as he looked at the closed door of the examination room. He was anxious and stressed about Earth’s condition. The younger had passed out by the time Kao got to him. Even though they took him to the hospital, Earth was yet to regain consciousness.

Fluke and Prem who were sitting next to him were in no different condition. Prem was biting his nails in anxiety while Fluke was staring blankly at the floor.

The trio jumped up to their feet when they saw the examination room door open.

“How is he, Mo?” Kao spoke up first to the doctor who walked out of the examination room.

They were currently in the hospital owned by Fluke’s family. Thankfully, Fluke’s uncle, Tom was on duty for the shift. Tom was the head of the Emergency Department and had personally taken up Earth’s case as soon as he was brought in.

“He is out of danger, Kao. You guys managed to bring him in on time.” Tom patted Kao’s shoulder.

The young man seemed too worried about him. He was used to seeing patients’ families getting all worked up when they were in hospital. He was a little surprised at the amount of concern Kao was showing towards Earth.

“Is he awake, Lung?” Prem asked.

“No, son. He passed out from panic and exhaustion. His body needs rest to cope with everything and recover. We should let him sleep for now.” Tom smiled and replied to Prem.

“He is just sleeping, right? There is nothing to be afraid of?” Kao was uncertain. It was his first time handling such a stressful situation.

“Yes, for now, there aren’t many complications.” Tom eyed the three people in front of him. “How about we go talk inside my room?” he suggested.

The trio nodded and followed Tom to his office.  They settled down on the couch inside the spacious office room.

Tom observed the three people. All three of them seemed shaken. Especially his nephew. “Now, which one of you is going to tell me what actually happened there in the school? This doesn’t look like a simple prank or bullying.”

It looked like a case of molestation to him. But he wanted to be sure before taking action. Earth’s parents had left him in their family’s care and he had to ensure the child’s safety.

Prem recited what he knew and Tom listened to him intently.

“I think we should get the police involved without having our child’s name getting dragged into it,” Tom said after listening to the whole story. “I don’t want the child to live in terror.”

“I agree with you, lung,” Kao said clenching his fists. He was extremely angry but he could let his anger out on others.

“Do any of you know who those guys were?” Tom asked.

Fluke jerked up a little but remained silent. He continued looking at the floor without making eye contact with anyone.

“No, Lung. Not everyone. But the guy who P’ Kao punched is the basketball team captain of our neighbouring school. His name is Code.” Prem remembered the lewd expression the latter had on his face as he hovered on top of unconscious Earth. His blood was boiling at the mere memory.

Tom picked up the phone to contact his lawyer to file a case against the culprit. “I will call the school authorities as well. We will need access to the CCTV cameras as well.”

“But lung, that place is a CCTV blind spot.” Prem reminded. “Also, most of the CCTVs in our school had been out of order for a while.”

Tom frowned nodding. He made arrangements with the lawyer. “Kao, we might need to head to the police station.”

Kao got up without hesitation to follow him. Ja was waiting outside the office.

“You two.” Tom turned to Prem and Fluke. “You two go home with Ja. I and Kao will go to the station.”

“But, Lung, we-” Prem tried to argue but was cut off by Tom.

“Prem, this is a serious matter. Let us adults handle it.” Tom said in a stoic tone. He wasn’t going to listen to Prem’s arguments. “Go home. If they say that your statement is needed, then we will call you two.” He didn’t want the other two children to be involved in the case.

“Khrab,” Prem said silently even though he was unwilling.

Fluke had been silent all this while. He obeyed his uncle’s command and followed Ja and Prem to the parking lot.

Both Kao and Tom stood there watching the three walking away. The two of them found Fluke’s behaviour extremely odd.

“What do you think happened to Fluke?” Tom asked Kao. He knew how protective Fluke was of Earth and Fluke being all quiet was not something normal.

“I don’t know lung. I think he is guilty and terrified.” Kao answered with an unsure expression. He too had a gut feeling that something wasn’t right about Fluke’s response.

“Guilty? Guilty about what?” Tom raised his eyebrows.

“Those bullies used his name to lure Earth over to their trap.” Kao narrowed his eyes trying to remember what had happened. “Fluke seemed to have frozen as soon as we entered the room and saw Earth.” There was certainly something weird, but he couldn’t put a finger on it.

“We will see to it later. Let’s head to the station now.” Tom started the car.

The car stopped in front of the Chiang Mai police station. Cai, one of Tom’s close friends and a well-established lawyer was waiting for them there.

“I have already talked to the inspector. He would like to know more details.” Cai said leading the duo into the police station.

Tom did most of the talking while Kao sat there without interrupting.

Kao was too triggered to speak. He felt that he might lose control and punch the inspector who was trying to write off the case as one of the pranks played by the kids, if he opened his mouth. He held back on his emotions.

“From the way the inspector was talking, I think the other party have already reached out to him,” Cai said as soon as they walked out of the station premises.

“I felt so too.” Tom frowned. The police system was way too corrupted for him to actually expect them to arrest the culprits right away.

“Also, Kao, the punch that you threw at the kid, they may use it against you,” Cai said looking at the raging young man.

Kao bit forcefully on his lip.  He had already made up his mind that he would use his name as the heir of the Dechaphatthanakun family if necessary. He didn’t think that the other party could be more powerful than his family.

✨✨✨

“Why on earth were you silent, Fluke?” Prem yelled. “Are you just going to sit here and let adults handle everything?” he was fuming mad.

“No.” a simple word came out of Fluke’s lips that had curled up into a creepy smile.