14 - A Spinning Scream

"Kasia," a whisper reaches my ear. "Kasiaaaaa it's time to wake uppppp," It's Katniss. Ugh. I groan slightly, shifting my head so that the sun isn't coming through my eyes and open my eyes.

"FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS DEADLY!" I scream, jerking back from the faces of three zombie looking creatures that have stolen Katniss's voice. Palming a knife, I raise it, scrambling backwards as the three creatures start to laugh, and my eyes clear enough to see their faces. "KATNISS, PEETA, YOU LITTLE SHITS!" I shout, waving a finger at Finnick. "And you Odair! You're meant to be the RESPONSIBLE ONE!" Finnick chortles, rolling back as Katniss grins and hands out a tube.

"Here. It's for the itching. Sponsors sent it, along with some bread."

I scowl.

"Will it make me look like a demon like you?" Katniss grimaces.

"Unfortunately so." I snort, but open the container and dip my fingers in, fingers instantly feeling better. I spread the medication over my skin, sighing softly as the itching stops.

"Thanks," I smile as Peeta hands me a piece of bread laden with shellfish. I eat forcefully, mind still reeling.

I'm just licking my fingers when a cannon goes off. Instantly, I jolt to my feet, scanning for danger, but the hovercraft looks to be headed to a different sections of the jungle. Seconds later, a huge wave appears, soaking over the sand and our boots. I flip a knife over in my hand as I watch the water swirl around my shoes, testing my injured shoulder. It seems fine to me, and I'm about to sit back down when Katniss raises her bow, pushing Peeta back into the foliage.

"Someone's here." I duck behind a branch, watching as three red figures emerge from the jungle nearby.

"Mutations?" Peeta keeps his voice low, but I shake my head. No... That looks more like-

"Johanna?" Finnick says, eyebrows raised.

"Finnick?"

"Johanna!" I yell out, stepping into view.

"KAS!"

"JO!" Running across the sand with Finnick hot on my heels, I fling my arms around her, only to stagger back gagging.

Blood. The red-ish tinge to her skin and hair. That's blood.

"I know right," Johanna scoffs, swinging her axe as Katniss and Peeta run up. "Last night. It started to rain and we thought it was water. Only it turns out it was blood. Hot, thick blood. We were gagging on it, staggering blind. That's when Blight hit the force field." She frowns, scowling at our expressions. "He wasn't much, but he was from home." She sighs. "And he left me alone with these two." Jo gestures behind her to where Beetee and Wiress and sitting. "He got a knife in the back at the Cornucopia."

I don't miss the glance Katniss throws my way. "And her..."

"Tick tock. Tick tock." Nuts mutters, shaking back and forward slowly.

"Yeah, we know. Tick tock," Johanna mocks. "Nuts is in shock." Wiress stands suddenly, lurching towards Johanna, who shoves her. "Stay down, won't you!"

"Lay off her," Katniss snaps, and Johanna snarls.

"Lay off her?" She says, slapping Katniss hard across the face before I can react. "Who do you think got them out of the bleeding jungle for you? You-" Finnick grabs her, carrying her out into the water and dunking her repeatedly, Johanna still spluttering out insults. 

"Got them out for me, what does that mean?" Katniss whispers, a hand on her face.

"I don't know, you did want them originally," Peeta says, walking to Beetee.