Chapter 30

Lizzy was a child easily pleased, especially by Michelle.
Whenever Michelle would coax or compliment her, even if it was done in a perfunctory manner, Lizzy would be overjoyed. This left Alex with a hint of envy.
Michelle patiently explained to the child her need to work, and although Lizzy was initially quite upset, she was eventually pacified by Michelle's assurances.
Once Lizzy was appeased, Michelle could finally focus her energy on her job.
Leonard had mentioned that Michelle didn't need to keep regular office hours, but occasionally she still had to visit NexRealm Studios.
Because they hadn't previously signed any agreement, Leonard had been unable to disclose project details to Michelle.
Now with a contract in place, to leverage Michelle's skills and hasten the project's progress, Leonard provided her a detailed introduction to the project, "Starpath".
"Starpath" was the third collaboration between Brandon and NexRealm Studios. Set in a distant starry future where deities and high technology merge, the game centered around the conflicts and debates arising from humanity's faith in gods and their rapidly advancing technology.
Currently, the "Starpath" project was halfway complete. The game's type and direction had been settled, but its narrative was lackluster and its character designs were yet to be refined.
Despite Michelle's youth and inexperience, she understood that "halfway" was often a misleading term. Whether it's 1/4 or 3/4, both could be rounded up to "half", but which "half" was being referred to?
As Leonard elaborated, he remembered that the great writer, Brandon, was returning, which could mean adjustments to Michelle's responsibilities.
After some thought, he felt it necessary to forewarn Michelle. "Miss Xia, are you familiar with the original author of 'Starpath'?"
Considering Brandon was one of the top names in online fiction, Leonard assumed Michelle, being a writer herself, would recognize the name behind "Starpath".
Yet, Michelle simply shook her head, replying, "I don't know him."
Leonard took a deep breath, then cautiously informed her, "It's Brandon Su."
Michelle, unfamiliar with the name, merely responded with a noncommittal "Hmm."
Seeing her reaction, Leonard felt a bit uneasy; her response was entirely outside his expectations.
It was truly astonishing that Michelle, a fellow writer, was unaware of the widely publicized news of Alex's high-priced purchase of the "Starpath" copyright.
Leonard mused, "Perhaps this is what they mean by the fearless naiveté of the young."
He continued cautiously, looking at Michelle, "Brandon was originally in charge of our project's storyline. He took a leave due to illness but is expected to return soon."
Upon hearing this, Michelle nodded and then curiously inquired, "So, if he returns, will I still be needed?"
Leonard's face immediately turned grave as he asserted, "Absolutely!"
It was no joke. Brandon was notoriously unreliable. Who knew if he might abandon them again?
Seeing Leonard's stern expression, Michelle hesitated for a moment.
She felt that something was amiss, but having committed already, she simply responded, "Alright, just let me know in advance what you need from me."
Leonard handed her a copy of the existing plot and character setups for "Starpath" for her to familiarize herself with and outlined a few tasks for her.
Michelle took the not-yet-perfected storyline and character details home. After several reads, she began working on the tasks Leonard had assigned her.
On the evening Michelle finished those tasks, Leonard sent her a message.
Leonard: Dear, come over tomorrow afternoon. Brandon is back.
Reading Leonard's message, Michelle massaged her sore finger joints.
She worried, "Will the original author return to put me, a stand-in writer, in my place?"
She sighed and sent a message to Alex next door.
Michelle: Alex, are you asleep?
Alex, still working late, checked the time. 8:50 pm.
At this hour, even little Lizzy wasn't asleep yet.
Alex replied to Michelle with a question mark.
It wasn't that Alex thought of Michelle as opportunistic, but she genuinely seemed to seek him out only when she needed a favor.
Predictably, Michelle stated her intentions without beating around the bush.
Michelle: I need to visit the office tomorrow afternoon.
Michelle: Could you please pick up Lizzy from school, Alex?
Tool, soul of a tool, tools weren't really human after all.
Alex realized once again that he was merely a utility – someone to pick up and drop off the child.
Feeling somewhat upset, he immediately responded to Michelle.
Alex: Alright, got it.
Alex: It's getting late. You should rest.
Looking at their conversation, any normal person would typically respond with a "Thanks" or "Goodnight", right?
One minute went by, and Michelle didn't reply.
Two minutes passed, still no response from Michelle.
After ten minutes, Michelle still remained silent.
Alex concluded, "Michelle isn't like most people."
With a sense of resignation, Alex calmly placed his phone face-down on the table, out of sight, out of mind.
Michelle glanced at Alex's messages and checked the time.
Oh, it was 8:54 pm.
It was time to get Lizzy to bed.
Michelle thought to herself, it seems Alex does care quite a bit about Lizzy.
With these thoughts, Michelle set her phone aside and went to tuck Lizzy into bed.
---------------------
Alex had observed the interactions between Michelle and Lizzy closely.
Lizzy was a little charmer, and always clung to people she liked. However, she only ever showed her affectionate side to Michelle.
Nevertheless, Lizzy loved being praised. Any compliment would light up her day.
And if the praise came from Michelle, it would send her over the moon.
Therefore, Alex would often "casually" shower Lizzy with compliments.
When he saw her in the morning, he'd commend her for waking up early and mention how cute she looked.
In the afternoon, when picking her up from school, he'd praise her for her good behavior and, yet again, remark on her cuteness.
On special occasions, he might reward her with delicious candies or cute stickers, followed by more compliments.
Due to Alex's "thoughtful efforts", Lizzy had grown much closer to him.
She began to rely on him in a way she might rely on a "dad", rather than referring to him as a mere "uncle".
The next afternoon, Michelle arrived at NexRealm Studios on time.
Naively, she thought: With the return of the original author, everyone in the team should be elated.
Yet, what she saw was a gloomy atmosphere. Everyone went about their tasks, with no signs of a "welcome back" ambiance.
Michelle: "..."
She began to wonder if she had got the date wrong.
Upon seeing her, Leonard greeted her and asked her to take a seat.
The executive planner from the team brought over a plate of assorted fruits for Michelle. Among them were some large, vibrant cherries that looked incredibly tempting.
The executive planner, an ever-cheerful individual, said with a smile, "We heard about the great Brandon's return. The boss specially had these imported cherries delivered here."
Michelle replied with a gracious "thank you". After placing the fruit plate down, the executive planner went off to attend to his duties.
Michelle had come over today to heed Leonard's words and to meet Brandon. She had no intention of working, so she found a spot, enjoyed some fruit, and indulged in a game on her phone. It wasn't until the renowned Brandon appeared that she tucked her phone away.
Brandon had a youthful face, bright and refreshing, quite different from the male authors Michelle had pictured in her mind. Dressed in a black hoodie, tall and slim, he looked more like a high school student than anything. Based on his appearance alone, no one would connect him to the original author whom Leonard described as the one who "pretended to be depressed and left halfway."
There weren't many newcomers in the team. Leonard briefly introduced Brandon to everyone and then proceeded to acquaint Brandon with the new colleagues. Being the latest addition to NexRealm Studios among the newcomers, Michelle was introduced last.
She extended her right hand towards Brandon, smiling gently as she said, "I look forward to learning from you in the future."
Brandon returned her smile, grasping her delicate hand. Gazing into her light brown eyes, he replied with a warm and playful tone, "Oh, please, Michelle is quite renowned. I'd hardly be in a position to teach anything."
From the moment he entered, Brandon's attention had been drawn to the woman seated in the relaxation area. With her gentle and poised demeanor combined with her refined features, she was starkly different from the image he had conjured in his mind. He had dated a few internet celebrities and models in the past. Though they were beautiful, they lacked a certain allure – mere stand-ins, so to speak. But Michelle was different; the blend of her charisma and beauty presented a unique attraction that instantly endeared her to him.
Recalling that she was the plot planner Leonard had brought back, and thinking about the document Alex had forwarded to him, his fondness for Michelle skyrocketed. He was smitten. And he resolved to pursue her.
With Brandon's return, the primary responsibility for storylines and scripts in the team now rested with both him and Michelle. Leonard organized a brief meeting exclusively for the two of them.
The meeting mostly covered the progress of their project, "Starpath." Leonard urged them to quickly adapt to their roles and stressed the importance of teamwork, advising against unnecessary disputes. Michelle understood the underlying message; after all, since Brandon was the original author, in case of differing opinions, his views would take precedence.
Although Michelle understood, she couldn't shake off a certain discomfort deep within.
After Leonard's brief meeting with Michelle and Brandon, Michelle decided not to linger. She planned to head home. Seeing Michelle's intentions to leave, Brandon didn't wish to stay either, especially since he hadn't planned on working for the next couple of days.
With a gentle smile, he turned to Michelle and asked, "Where do you live, Michelle? Let me drive you home."