Chapter 78

When Alex Ye returned home, he found Michelle Xia and Lizzy Xia arranging flowers in his room.

They had procured several gleaming glass vases from somewhere, and pale golden champagne roses were strewn about, creating an almost melancholic scene. Lizzy was leaning over the table, handing flowers to her mother with great care, all the while tilting her head to watch as Michelle inserted the roses into the vase.

Upon seeing her father, the little girl immediately hopped off the chair and, with her short legs, made a quick "patter-patter-patter" as she rushed to greet him. Lizzy smiled brightly, briefly acted coquettishly with Alex, then ran back in her "patter-patter-patter" manner, continuing her task of handing flowers to Michelle and watching her work.

Alex didn't get upset upon seeing the champagne roses being used as playthings, but he did feel a pang of frustration, a slight incredulity. To him, Michelle's demeanor was hardly what one would expect from someone who received flowers on Valentine's Day. Yet considering Michelle's quirky way of thinking, he found nothing really amiss.

Michelle hadn't counted how many roses there were, but every vase was filled to the brim. Noticing Alex's indifferent expression, she took a moment when Lizzy wasn't paying attention to explain what had transpired that day.

Imitating Lizzy, Michelle's voice was soft and sweet, "Lizzy mentioned that her daddy didn't get her any flowers. She thinks you're playing favorites."

Alex raised an eyebrow, "Should I get her some next time?"

Michelle chuckled, "No need for that. Maybe you could get her something else."

With a smile, Alex seized the opportunity when Lizzy wasn't looking to plant a quick kiss on Michelle's lips, not uttering another word. The Valentine's gift he had prepared for Michelle was a set of pink diamond jewelry. The ring, however, he had set aside, not placing it in the gift box. Even if Michelle wasn't too knowledgeable about luxury items, she recognized the rarity of pink diamonds.

Upon seeing the jewelry set, she exclaimed half-jokingly, "Wearing this bracelet while writing, I wonder if it will damage my keyboard wrist rest."

She genuinely liked it; after all, which girl wouldn't be enamored by beautiful jewelry? Michelle was no exception. She giggled, "I'll have to hide it well. Otherwise, your daughter will claim you're playing favorites again."

The Lunar New Year holiday passed swiftly. Alex had to resume work at his company on the fourth day, while Lizzy's enrichment classes resumed on the eighth. They didn't stay long at the Ye residence, especially after hearing that Nora Su was returning, so they decided to head back to their place in Rivenhold's C district.

Alex had plans to renovate their home, breaking down the walls to expand the space, but the work could only commence after the New Year. With the renovations looming, they contemplated "living separately." After some thought, Alex decided to move to a slightly bigger house nearby.

Michelle had only one concern, "Is it just as close to Lizzy's kindergarten?"

Without missing a beat, Alex promptly purchased a house equidistant to Lizzy's kindergarten, ensuring that Michelle's 10-minute pick-up routine wasn't disrupted. Even though Nora was to intern elsewhere in the latter half of the year, Alex still reserved a room for her.

Michelle sensed that Eleanor Ye and Alex's attitude towards Nora was a bit peculiar, but she never asked. Alex, however, took the initiative to explain, "Nora is the illegitimate daughter of one of my younger uncles. Back then, he was just twenty and was afraid of being chastised by my grandfather. He sought help from my mother."

Michelle was taken aback, "I think I might have preferred not knowing."

Realizing how disconcerting the information might be, Alex chose not to delve deeper into the story. He added, "I didn't want you to have any misunderstandings. To the outside world, Nora has always been an orphan sponsored by my mother. Truth be told, my mother isn't particularly fond of Nora. But we share the same blood, and we can't just ignore her."