Chapter 60

After playing around with Lizzy, who was quite the drama queen, it was time for dinner.
Since Michelle wasn't feeling particularly hungry due to her illness, Nora Su had specially prepared porridge for her, complemented with pickled vegetables.
Michelle was a bit taken aback by the extent of the care. She was not picky and found the vegetables mixed with porridge quite appetizing.
Nora, worried that Michelle might get hungry later, made an extra portion, so she could reheat it if needed.
After dinner, Michelle prepared to take her medicine. But because of her decreased updates for the day, her subscription count had dropped. This made her feel uneasy, leading her to consider burning the midnight oil to make up for it.
Alex Ye seemed to sense her internal debate. Seeing her linger near the water dispenser, he feigned getting water for Lizzy and casually mentioned, "Flu can relapse easily. It's best if you rest early."
Then, turning to Nora, he inquired, "Do we have any coffee? I'd like to take some."
Hearing this, Michelle couldn't help but glance at Alex. Their eyes met, and it was clear that he had guessed her intention of drinking coffee to stay awake.
But Michelle wasn't fazed in the slightest.
People shouldn't have double standards. If he could stay up late working, why couldn't she?
However, thinking of her illness, Michelle Xia said nothing in front of him, only acknowledging with a soft "Hmm," in response to his previous comment.
After a moment's thought, Michelle said to Alex Ye, "Leonard Chen called me today. He wants me to do a promotional livestream for the 'Star Path' game, along with Brandon Su."
Alex Ye, unaware of this, simply responded with a light "Hmm."
He knew Michelle had her reasons. She was merely informing him, and unless she sought his advice, he wouldn't interject, fearing it might influence her decision.
Michelle indeed had her considerations. Looking at Alex, she said, "I don't know why Leonard wants both Brandon and me for the livestream. But, considering that Brandon is a contracted writer with ScribeSphere and I am too, can I use this opportunity to advertise myself?"
She paused, reconsidering her choice of words, "Or rather, have the great Brandon Su promote me. Is that being too presumptuous?"
She had told Leonard she'd seriously consider it. And she did. However, her contemplation wasn't for the 'Star Path' project but her personal growth.
She doubted she could significantly boost the 'Star Path' game's popularity. NexRealm Studios didn't really need her and Brandon for the livestream.
From her perspective, she had no vested interest in NexRealm Studios or 'Star Path'. She'd rather spend that time writing.
However, if this livestream could serve as a promotional channel for her works, then it's a different story. This would mean NexRealm Studios is essentially giving her free publicity, potentially at a loss.
Hearing Michelle's words, Alex turned to look at her. In his deep, ink-black eyes, her delicate and refined face was reflected.
Michelle met his gaze, stating, "Having signed with ScribeSphere, shouldn't I at least know who their largest shareholder is?"
Alex averted his eyes, no longer meeting hers. He picked up a glass of warm water, sipping in silence.
He had been so secretive around her, yet she had known all along.
Seeing him in this introspective state, Michelle chuckled, trying to reassure him, "It's okay. It's just working for family, right? I won't tell anyone."
Alex cast her a glance, unsure whether Michelle was genuinely naive or just playing dumb. They both knew their primary topic of discussion shouldn't be this.
Alex recalled a recent incident where Michelle's work data was abnormal, wondering why she hadn't discussed it with him then.
Although the issue was resolved later, had he not had his tech team monitor it, her posts might still be flaunting on the forum, reminiscent of a pillar of shame.
Of course, there was no need to revisit the past. The current focus was the 'Star Path' promotional livestream.
For Michelle, the resources of 'Star Path' and Brandon's popularity were potent promotional tools. Coupled with Michelle's looks, with a bit of luck, she might even gain fame based on her appearance.
But regardless of the outcome, her public appearance would impact her life, affect him, and their daughter Lizzy Xia, and even the Ye family at large. Brandon had these considerations too, hence his reluctance about the 'Star Path' promotional livestream.
Looking at Michelle, Alex said, "Have you thought it through? Appearing on camera might affect your and Lizzy's lives."
Michelle nodded. She knew, which is why she had discussed it with Alex.
Her lips curled into a beautiful smile as she said, "That's why I wanted to ask for your opinion, Mr. Ye. I don't want my personal decisions to cause trouble for you or Lizzy."
Due to her illness, her voice was slightly hoarse, but it still carried that gentle charm. It felt so light, as if it could float right into someone's heart.
In the past, Michelle Xia made decisions mostly based on her mood. She was headstrong, not overthinking her actions. She would prioritize money over health; if she felt like drinking coffee and pulling an all-nighter while sick, she did, unafraid of sudden death.
She had once gone silent just like Brandon Su, not updating for long periods. But now she would consider whether such a decision would invalidate the hard work of her editors.
Previously, when she was alone, her decisions were purely based on her feelings and thoughts. But now, she had to consider if her actions might cause trouble or inconvenience for others.
Hearing her genuinely seek his advice, Alex Ye responded, "I don't have much to say, but make sure you communicate well with NexRealm Studios. And think things through."
Thinking of the face that looked so much like Michelle Xia's, his voice lowered, "Online fans get bored easily. They might dig into your personal information. If they find out about Lizzy's relation to you..."
He stopped abruptly, feeling that there was no need to say more.
Being pregnant before marriage, dropping out to have a child – just these topics alone were enough for gossips. With Michelle Xia's recognizable face, if these facts came out and were linked to him, their names would forever be intertwined.
He continued, "But I've always had the PR department monitor online news, so you can rest assured about that."
Michelle looked surprised. There were certain aspects she had never been exposed to, hence she never pondered about them. She had wondered: Why hadn't Alex Ye and the Ye family publicly acknowledged Lizzy?
They had clearly accepted Lizzy's existence. Why was she treated as an illegitimate child?
She never considered that they were protecting her, keeping her tumultuous past from those outside their inner circle. Admittedly, the Ye family might be protecting Alex Ye's reputation. But society's judgment and criticism are often harsher towards women. What might be brushed off as a 'drunken mistake' for a man, could be deemed 'immodest' for a woman. The majority often blame the woman. While they were guarding Alex's reputation, they were also safeguarding her. Whether out of guilt or just as a kind gesture, they undeniably took her feelings into account.
All these revelations flooded into Michelle's mind, leaving her slightly overwhelmed.
Unaware of her newfound realizations, Alex's thoughts were still focused on the 'Star Path' promotional livestream she was planning with Brandon Su.
He said, "Both you and Brandon Su are authors from ScribeSphere and have collaborated on the same game project. If you coordinate well with NexRealm Studios and Brandon Su, there's potential for a lot of benefits. Just make sure you protect your pseudonym. PR teams can't do everything. I can only promise to do my best."
Michelle didn't respond, and a sudden silence fell between them.
Alex remembered a time when he had unintentionally made Michelle cry. Her silence now made him anxious.
Had he said something wrong? Had he inadvertently forbidden her from collaborating with Brandon Su for the 'Star Path' livestream?
Seeing her head bowed, in the softest and gentlest tone, he called out, "Michelle?"