Chapter 3 - Dessert

A few conversations later, the four students left saying good bye to the owner who they later learned the name of.

"Hiroaki-san.  What a fitting name." Thought Emiko out loud.

"What does it mean?" Asked Nendou.

"Spreading brightness." She answered with a brilliant smile "Thank you for allowing me to tag along today, guys.  I had fun getting to know you all.  Except Saiki. He's very quiet." She said with a laugh. "Hey, listen, I didn't spend on my bowl of ramen today, so I was wondering if you guys wanted to..."

'No.' Saiki thought firmly.

"...Have dessert?  My treat completely."

'Yes.' He changed his mind right away.

"Aw man! I'd love to, Emiko, but I told my mom I'd be back by 6 PM, else she'll ground me again."  Kaido said with a sigh.

"That's too bad.  I'll pray nothing bad happens because there will be no Jet Black Wings to protect us." She said with a smile.

Kaido blushed at this.  "Y-yeah... Hahaha! Don't worry! I'll be there next time!"

"What about you, Nendou? Saiki?"

"I can't, Gal.  I told my mom I'd help her with her groceries."  Nendou said sadly.  "I think Saiki here can go with you!"

Saiki nodded.

'All right.  Maybe I'll get to know him a bit better then.'

'Don't count on it.'

"All right, Saiki! Let's go!" Emiko said, motioning Saiki to follow her. "Bye, you guys! Take care on the way home."

"Will do! You guys as well!"  Nendou yelled.

"So, Saiki.  Where is a good place to get dessert?"

Saiki lead the girl to a dessert place he usually frequents. 'This is my quiet hangout spot.  I'm not sure if it was right for me to show her but she seems like the understanding type. Also, I really want coffee jelly.'

"Cafe Mami..."  Emiko read out loud "Looks cute! You've eaten here before?"

Saiki nodded.

"Let's go then!"

They took their seats and a man gave them a menu. "What's good here?" Emiko asked Saiki only to be answered by a shrug. "You're such a delight to talk to."

'I know.' Saiki answered returning her sarcasm.

"Let's be friends."

'No.'

"Why not?"

'It's too troublesome.'

"Come on, Shikamaruuu."

'Shikamaru would make a good friend. He's not noisy.'

"Pfft. I didn't know you had a funny bone in you." She smiled.

'What is it with people wanting to become my my friend?' Saiki thought to himself.  'Good luck with that.' He told her.

"So what do you want for dessert, Saiki?"

'I would tell her that I want coffee jelly, but it's her treat so I don't want to impose.'  He shrugged.

"Look, Saiki.  If you didn't want dessert, you probably wouldn't have come here with me."