Chapter 35: The Genius

Author's Note: Sorry that my chapter updates are getting slower, but I can only promise that I'll try harder. My schedule's been hectic, but when I find myself with a free day or two, I'll promise two chapters when I post next.  Thanks for keeping up with me, you guys. Means a lot. :*

School was fine.

She didn't seem to enjoy it as much anymore due to the circumstances, but it was all right. Her grades shot up again, but she no longer strived to be one of the Top 3 students. She knew that she was smart and capable that anything written on a piece of paper is no indication of her abilities. Everyone had different talents--many were smart outside of academics. Still, she made sure she was above average at least, because if she wanted to get into a good college, those things written on paper mattered.

'Do I want to go to college?' Emiko thought during a class activity one morning. 'What if I don't live long enough?' She half heartedly jokingly added.

During lunch, Emiko sat with her friends still thinking about her future. It was kinda bleak.

"Penny for your thoughts." Tora asked her snapping back into reality.

"Huh?" Emiko said looking back at her friends who seemed worried if she was going through a depressive state again. "Oh. Sorry, I was just thinking about my future."

"Yeah?" Chiyo asked "What about your future?"

"Well, just in general. I'm still figuring out what I want to do. There are so many options nowadays, it's difficult to choose." She said with a small smile.

"Ah, yeah. I understand where you're coming from. College is soon upon us, no?" Rei said. "It's both a blessing and a curse that we were born in a time where there are so many different careers to choose from."

"Yeah, well, unfortunately, I don't really get to choose what I can become." Yuuki said dejectedly.

"Why is that?" Kokomi asked.

"Meh, well, I grew up in a family of doctors, lawyers and engineers. We're that old-fashioned Asian family where our careers are decided by our elders. Anything outside of their choosing is considered disgraceful." She said with a sigh.

"You're one of those unlucky ones, then." Tora said sympathetically.

"Don't say that." Rei nudged Tora.

"No, no. She's right. I'm one of the youngest in the third generation. I had to watch all my older cousins struggle with the same thing. They had to follow, or they would be cut-off by the family."

"That's terrible." Rei muttered.

"It's not just careers though." Yuuki continued. "Marriage as well."

"What do you mean?" Chiyo asked being the romantic that she was.

"My cousin, well, he studied Industrial Engineering in Europe, honestly, he did love that course so I'm happy for him. He and this South African chick fell in love and they dated for a few years and decided to get married."

"Awww." Chiyo exclaimed.

"Hahaha. Awwww." Yuuki continued a bit condescendingly. "My family didn't approve of my cousin being with someone who wasn't Japanese and said he'd be cut out of the inheritance if he got married."

She paused for a moment. "Actually, the family from both sides didn't approve of the marriage. The woman's family had objections and said that she wouldn't be happy with him since most Asians focus more on their career and money than their family life and that Japanese households are very patriarchal that he would eventually look down on her."