Chapter 8 - Obstacles

'I need to get home before 5:00.' Muses Saiki as walks down the school hall. One anime series is going to be airing at that time and he needs to see it before anyone spoils it. He stops and realised that if he walks any further, he would bump into Kaido, who, for some reason, has found an abandoned building and wants to show it to Saiki.

'That was close.' Thought Saiki as he walked the opposite direction. He paused before walking down the stairs because Hairo was at the bottom of the staircase waiting for Saiki hoping to take him to the gym.

'I'll pass.' He thought to himself. Why couldn't they leave him alone just for today? Passing an alternate route, he heard Teruhashi's voice saying there was worksheet she needed to give him.

"...And maybe I'll invite him to tea and wow him! He'll finally realise that I'm not an illusion!" She claims.

Getting stressed by the minute, he walks away only to have a slim chance to escape from Nendou. He hides in the restroom for 20 minutes only to realise that he only has invisibility as his only chance to get home. The catch? He cannot come in contact with human touch. He sneaks into the shoe lockers, completely shocks Kaido only to gather everyone he was trying to escape into the same room. At least escaping will be easier.

"Are you going home now, Saiki?"

'What?'

"I'll join you." Says Reita as he holds Saiki's shoulder.

'You idiot!" Saiki exclaims as his invisibility wears off.

"There he is!" His three classmates exclaims.

"Saiki! I'd like to return the favour!" Says Hairo.

"The teacher asked me to give you this!" Teruhashi says smiling.

"I found this great abandoned building!" Yells Kaido.

"Are you free now?" They all ask at the same time.

'What?' Saiki says still unable to process what just happened to his careful planning.

"Oh, there you are Saiki!" Calls Emiko as she walks to the group.

"E-Emiko-san." Stutters Reita with red cheeks.

"Hi, everyone! Do you mind if I steal Saiki for a while? Matsuzaki-Sensei wanted to talk to Saiki and asked me to fetch him."

'What?' Saiki just nods and follows Emiko.

"See you all tomorrow!"

"See you, Emiko!" All three boys say with a blush on their face and Teruhashi giving a smile and a wave with jealous thoughts inside her head.

Saiki follows Emiko only to be surprised that she walked out the school building.

'I thought we were going to Matsuzaki-Sensei.'

"Oh that's right. Sorry I didn't tell you. You looked like you need an out so I gave you one." Emiko smiled.

'What?'

"You've been saying that a lot, huh?" She chuckles. "I just saw how distressed you looked and decided to help you out."

Saiki looked at the girl with a hint of surprise. It seems that kindness isn't something he experiences often. A smile forcing its way to his lips but he desisted and said an honest

'Thank you.'

Emiko beamed at him hearing the sincerity of his voice.

"You're welcome. I'm going to walk a little faster now. There's a show I need to catch."

'What show are you going to watch?'

Emiko blushed a bright pink (well, Saiki didn't see the lovely pink on her cheeks as he sees bones and muscle). "Well, it's the Healthy Warrior Specialiser."

'That's also the show I'm rushing home to watch.'

"Oh really? Well, the last episode was a cliff hanger so let's walk faster!"

And they did. They reached their respective houses five minutes before the show began.

When it ended, Saiki leaned back on his couch and relaxed. He really thought he wasn't going to be able to watch the season finale but boy was he glad he did. The episode answered many of the questions that have arisen throughout the series. Though he felt like he owed this little satisfaction to a certain someone who got him out of the mess he was in in school.

He took out his phone and sent a text.

'I'm glad Takahiro didn't sabotage his weapons.'

He lay his phone down only to receive a reply from Emiko ten seconds later.

'I know right? Tbh I was so worried he was the bad guy. I'm glad that he came though later on in the episode.'

A few messages were exchanged after that. When they both bid each other goodnight, Saiki smiled and realised that maybe there was a friendship after all.