Chapter 18: Movies & Trouble

"That's a crazy! What did you do after that?" Emiko asked in keen interest. 

"Well, after that, I had to climb the tree to avoid getting bitten by her dog."

"How long were you up there for?"  

"Well, more or less, fifteen minutes."  Noa said. "I'm not proud of it."

His wife, Hina, entered the antique store, halfway into hearing her husband.

"Emiko dear, is he telling you the story of how we met and got together?" She asked. 

"Yes.  So far, he's told me that your dog chased him up a tree." 

"Ah, so I heard correctly" She turned to her husband "Shame on you for lying to the girl!" She turned back to Emiko "My dear, he was up at that tree for three hours!" 

Emiko was shocked. "T-three?" Noa turned red from embarrassment. 

"Yes! My dog was gone for so long that when I found him, he had chased this strange boy up a tree for so long.  Our gardener apparently saw the whole thing and found it so funny, he wanted to see how long Noa would last." 

"The mean old man." Noa muttered like a child. 

"What happened after that? How did you start dating?" 

"Well, I didn't want to date him, honestly.  Seeing how he was such a coward to my dog.  I was also currently dating someone else at the time who my dog loved so much." 

"She eventually fell for my handsome face, charms and confident swagger."  Noa said cooly.

Emiko gave Noa a look "I think Hina is more reliable in telling stories." Emiko smiled and gave him a peace sign.

"You're exactly right! I promise I won't leave anything out like that man did." 

"I'm right here." Noa said.

"We know." Said Hina "Anyway, after that guy and I stopped dating, Noa heard about it and started to let me know that he liked me romantically.  I wanted nothing to do with him seeing as he couldn't handle my dog.  Buffy was a chihuahua by the way." 

"Scary creatures!'" 

"Right.  There was this time when I went to the charity to help out because I wanted to do something better with my time.  Then when I first got in,  they told me to train under their top volunteer.  So when I went to that said volunteer, who else showed up but him.  He didn't say anything about dating which was unusual,  instead he was a really good teacher.  I saw how serious he was about helping people around him and how he kind he actually was." 

"Told you it was my swagger." Noa said. 

Hina rolled her eyes.  "During the first few weeks of my volunteering, we got to know each other a little better.  I learned that we had the same hobbies, values and we'd talk a lot.  We even found ourselves hanging out after volunteer work.  So one day, I found myself thinking about him.  How he used to bother me by asking me if I would date him because of destiny and stuff like that.  But since I started working with him, he hasn't asked me since and I didn't feel like I would want him to ask me again because of how many times I turned him down.  So the next time we hung out, he wanted me to try the ramen in the shop his uncle owned; Hiroaki-san's!  After eating, I asked him if he wanted to be my boyfriend and he started crying! Hiroaki-san witnessed it all! Which is probably why he is so special to us.  Since Noa here couldn't speak because he was all teary, he told me that he was too scared to ask me to date him again because he was afraid that it would ruin our friendship if I denied him.  So we were together ever since."