Chapter 6 - Fragments

Emiko just stared at the ceiling. It was so hard to get up when your bed was this comfy. Thank goodness it was the weekend. She looked back on the past three weeks of living here since she moved. 'It's not bad. Not bad at all.' She thought with a curl in her lips. She made a lot of friends and that's all she could ask for.

"Emi!!!" She heard her mother holler from downstairs "Your father is home!"

Immediately, Emiko stood up and rushed downstairs. It's been two weeks since her father left for a neuroscience conference and she missed him a lot!

"DAD!"

"EMI!"

She hugged her dad tightly and asked "So how was it? The conference?"

"Just some boring stuff. Nothing too interesting. Meaning to say, my brain is fried and I have no juice to talk about it." He chuckled. "How are my two favourite women?" He asked as he gave his wife a loving embrace.

"We missed you of course! The sun shines a bit less bright when you're not around, Dear." Her mom said batting her eyelashes.

"Oh, my darling. I counted the days 'til I could gaze upon your beauty." He replied with his eyes sparkling with love.

"The many sleepless nights where the moon would light up your empty spot on our bed."

"It was so cold without you, Ena."

"But now I feel warm and comfortable now that you're with me again, Eito."

Their faces inched closer

"Ah okay. Just forget that I'm here." Emiko said sarcastically.

"Hahaha! Sorry, dear. The sun was bright because you were here!" Ena laughed nervously.

"Not what I meant. If you wanna make me a sibling, maybe your bedroom would do?" Emiko smiled.

Both her parents turned red and bashful. Eito spoke up "Well, I supposed we'll do just that." He laughs and scoops up his wife bridal style and carries her to the bedroom. "

"Geez. I know my parents are so lovey dovey but damn are they eager." Emiko said as she whisked eggs for her omelette.

After cooking her breakfast, she sat on the table and ate in thought. 'What should I do today? Should I head to the park? The library, maybe? What do normal people do?'

When it was empty, she washed her plate and headed to her room to change. She chose a pastel yellow boat-neck sun dress with sleeves 'til her elbows and length just a little below her knees. She grabbed a pair of white sneakers and tied her hair in a messy bun. She looked at her reflection. Something was missing. She took the key and unlocker her drawer to reveal a black steel knife. She held it in her hand and could feel it weigh her down.

'Are those days really over?' She closed her eyes and allowed her mind to reign free just for a while. Memories that she's kept hidden. Fragments of her past slowly seeped in. There was a scream. Her scream. Then his scream. He screamed and begged her to leave, to save herself. She was one those to escape. Others weren't so lucky.

She caressed her right arm until she found a small unnoticeable bump. That's where they injected her and drew her blood. She opened her eyes forcing all memories to return to the dark corner of her mind. Looking at her reflection again, she saw tears flowing from her eyes.

'The past doesn't matter anymore. It's behind me. I should try to forget about it. I have a better life now. Don't let his sacrifice be in vain.'

She removed her dress and changed back to her house clothes and sat on her bed and looked out of the window.

Her door creaked as her parents peeked in. They stepped inside and sat at either side.

"Something wrong?" Ena worriedly asked. Emiko shook her head. "You're thinking about that aren't you?"

"Yes. But I closed my mind off again to it. The pain of simply remembering it is too unbearable."

"We're very sorry that you had to go through something like that. We should have protected you better. Protected you like how your grandmother used to. We never really understood the pain and danger you had to go through because we aren't like you and my mom. I didn't realise it until you were taken. Then we knew we had to fight with everything we had to try and get you back. Just seeing you here with us a joy I feel like I don't deserve because of my ignorance at the time and honestly, I will understand if you don't forgive me." Eito said gravely.

There was a silence between the three of them as their cheeks were wet with tears.

"I have forgiven you a long time ago, Dad. There are times when I am angered when I remembered how indifferent you seemed, but I have forgiven you a long time ago. You did everything you could, you both did to give me an opportunity to have normal life. You left your hometown, your jobs, your families--everything so that I could escape. Mom, you even went as far as to get me this."

Emiko lifted her hair to reveal a tiny emerald orb pinned to her neck just below her hairline.

"It seems to be working fine and suppressing your powers, doesn't it?" Ena asked.

"Yes. It is. And I just want to thank you both for trying to make this life normal for me. I know you're holding back with your protective side to avoid suspicion and to not suffocate me so much, although you are suffocating me now." I said between squeeze of their hug.

They sit lean unto each other enjoying the closeness and love. And for a moment, it seemed like everything seemed right with the world.

After a good amount of time, Eito spoke up "I heard from a colleague of mine at the symposium that there is a very quaint Wagashi shop that make all their sweets by hand upon order. He said that their matcha flavoured sweets are the best. Best to go before 6 PM if I recall. What do you say, Emi. Do you wanna try it?"

A smile formed in Emiko's lips "Do I ever."