Chapter 9 - Sports Festival

"LISTEN UP!" Yelled Hairo "WE ONLY HAVE ONE GOAL TODAY: VICTORY!"

"YES!!!" The rest of Class Three yelled back.

'I just wanted to stay home today.' Thought Saiki to himself. Then he remembered how his parents insisted he be there (not only because they had a new video camera which went low battery before the event even began).

"NEVER GIVE UP, CLASS THREE!" Hairo loud voice cut through Saiki's thoughts.

"YEAH!"

Over Nendou and Kaido's bickering, behind them, he could see the green eyed girl stretching with such a passion in her eyes.

'Sports festival! I'm so excited. I'm going to do my best and kick their butts!' Emiko smirked to herself then her eyes caught her parents standing in the side with Saiki's parents. She waved excitedly and did a little victory dance earning cheers from four of them.

Saiki rolled his eyes. 'So she's competitive huh. More lowkey than Hairo, but I'm certain she's going to do well.'

Emiko caught Saiki looking at her and offered him a big, toothy grin to which Saiki returned with a raised brow. She walked over to him.

"Are you ready to win, Saiki?" She asked excitedly.

'No.'

"Why is that your attitude? I heard from Hairo the other day that he expects a lot from you!"

'Yare yare. That's not what I intended.'

"Emi! Ku! We need to get a photo of both of you! It's Emi's first sports festival and what better photo would it be to have it with one of her first friends! Now, smile!" Emiko's mom put her camera at their eye level and took a photo of one excited Emiko and an indifferent Saiki.

"Hey, why aren't we in that picture?" Nendou asked appearing behind Ena all of a sudden.

Keeping her surprised and slightly terrified reaction in check, she mustered a smile and said "Oh how silly of me! The more the merrier! You all made Emiko's transition to normal life easier!"

Saiki caught that. 'Normal life?' He wondered.

"What do you mean normal life, Ena? She just transferred from Hokkaido!"Eito said laughing nervously.

"Oh of course! I didn't mean to say that, it's just that life in Hokkaido is very different from what we're experiencing here, honey!"

Everyone (except Saiki) laughed it off as Nendou, Kaido, Saiki, Hairo and Emiko posed for their picture. Nendou stayed in the back as he was the tallest one, his arms around Hairo and Saiki and little Emiko stayed in the middle of them both.

"Smile!" Ena said cheerfully in two syllables. Saiki's parents we gushing about how cute it is because it SEEMS that their son has friends after all. Saiki rolled his eyes hearing this.

After their picture was taken, Hairo jumped in excitement and said

"Saiki! I expect big things!"

'Don't expect anything.' The psychic thought in his head.

"Nendou!" He continued "Your athletic skills are amazing! I also expect big things from you!"

"Right! I won't lose to you this time!" Nendou replies with a thumbs up.

'We're in the same team.' Saiki though exasperatedly.

"Kaido!" Hairo said pausing "Uhm, do your best!" He finished with a half hearted thumbs up.