Chapter 18: Ice Cream

It's the next morning and I hop in the shower. I reflect on yesterday and how Lance was just staring at me. Out of nowhere, he wipes the makeup off without even taking a picture. Then he kicked me out of this room saying he had "more studying to do".

     I sigh turning off the shower and dry myself off. Maybe I said something wrong. I probably praised him too much... Who am I kidding, Lance loves being praised and glorified.

    I dig through my dresser looking for something to wear. I find a grey cashmere sweater and a pair of blue jeans.

    I could get something to eat right about now. I quickly throw on my outfit racing the growing hunger pains in my stomach. I run down the staircase and my body bobs with every step I jump down to.

I make it to the dining room and realize just how quiet it is. I see that Dontae is the only person sitting at the table.

"Where is everyone?" I ask looking around the room.

"Noah went to the nursing home, Shawn is out getting some supplies for some experiment he's doing, Justin went to the mall with Lance, and Christian is out with some friends," Dontae says all at once never looking up from his phone.

I nod my head at all of the information I just received. "So, what are we going to do?"

Dontae looks up from his phone and answers, "Uh- no. There is no 'we'. Mind your own business and leave me alone," Dontae scowls at me with the most vicious look on his face. I sigh in response to Dontae's small tantrum. He goes back to rapidly tapping on his phone. That's when an idea hits me.

    I slowly circle around the table. It doesn't take long to catch Dontae's attention.

    "What are you doing?" He questions, his eyes following me.

    "Me? Oh, nothing. I'm just thinking about how it's a shame that you declined my offer..." I pause and stare Dontae right in his eyes. "I am oh-so heartbroken by your rejection."

"This babbling is useless. Just get to the point Potterson."

"My bad. I played around too much," my tone instantly changes and becomes darker, "Imagine what would happen if it somehow got out that you are the one that destroyed Mr.Wiggims.." I slam my hand down on the table for a more dramatic effect.

Dontae gasps and quickly replies, "You- You. Wouldn't. Dare."

"Are you sure about that? We both know that this tore Noah up inside out. Just wait until Noah hears that it was YOU who destroyed his favorite stuffed animal. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now that would be such a shame."

"You... SNAKE!" Dontae yells then quickly closes his mouth. His jaw clenches and I'm pretty sure I can hear his teeth grate against each other.

"Don't take it personally, Donate. It's just business." I feel a smirk forming on my face knowing that I am the victorious one in this battle.

"Get your shoes on. Let's go." Dontae says angrily stomping off.

I am so great at this blackmailing, I mean, convincing people thing. As I walk to the door to get my shoes, I could've sworn I heard Dontae grumble B.S. or something like that, but I let it slide. I'm getting what I want after all.

   We take the bus to the ice cream parlor. Throughout the whole ride, Dontae laughed at me because I'm not confident in my driving skills. I try my best to ignore him, but the more words that come out of his mouth, the more rage builds inside of me threatening to come out. I am thankful when we make it to our stop and practically run out of the bus.