Chapter 25: The Snake in Heels

An entire week had passed and my life hasn't gotten any easier. Jackie and her group of friends have gone out of their way to make my life utterly miserable. Laura and Denise have been more protective of me because of this.

I've made sure to keep the fact that Jackie is harassing me a secret from the boys'. The last thing I need is for them is to wreak absolute havoc and flip out (especially Dontae and Christian).

    Ring.

    Finally, it's passing time. I grab my books and hold them close to my chest. My eyes peer over my books as I keep my eyes peeled for Jackie and her crew. I scan the hall and I don't see her.

   So far, so good. I sigh and close my eyes in relief that Jackie is nowhere in sight.

   "Good. She's nowhere to be seen." As soon as those words escape my mouth I feel my white shirt become soaking wet. I slowly tilt my head up and see Jackie and her now empty water bottle.

    "Oops, my bad. You looked a little dirty." Jackie spits, sneering at me. She then proceeds to chuck the water bottle at me. I stealthily catch it and crush it with my hands.

"Still as nasty as ever I see," I reply, trying to keep my nerves at bay.

"Stop acting like you're such a saint. We all know you're screwing all of the Gretchen Boys'."

"Are you mad that those skimpy you wear and the plastic surgery weren't enough to keep Christian?" I smirk at her.

I am all for uplifting women and women empowerment, but this girl is pushing it.

Jackie's eyes widen and her upper lip twitches. She looks like a bull about to charge at a flag. She winds her hand back and I close my eyes waiting for the impact. I hear the loud slap noise, but I don't feel anything.

Maybe it is so strong I died. Imagine dying from a slap. That's a dumb way to die.

   Cause of Death: A slap from the witch

    Imagine that being in my obituary. Or maybe you should open your eyes, a voice in my head tells me.

I quickly open my eyes and see Noah in front of me. His right cheek is turning a bright shade of red that looks like it is excruciatingly painful.

"N-Noah?" Jackie stutters, quickly withdrawing her hand.

Noah pays no attention to Jackie and faces me. "Carmen are you ok?" he gently grabs my chin and studies my face checking for any injuries.

     What is a person to do in this situation?

     I stare at him not saying anything. Our faces are so close that I can feel his breath fan over my face. Noah notices as well and is quick to pull away from me.

    "Carmen, what is going on? How long has Jackie been treating you like this?" Noah asks. His questions come at me like rapid fire.

I am about to answer but then a realization hits me. I have on a white shirt that is now wet. I become conscious of the wet shirt clings to my skin and the fact my baby blue bra is definitely visible.

Before I can even make a move Noah's eyes travel down and his face turns red. His eyes quickly advert to my face. Not know what to do, I run.

"CARMEN POTTERSON, YOU HAVE MADE GRAVE!" Jackie cries after me.

I could care less about my grave right now. I keep running. I sprint down The halls without any sense of direction. I can hear the laughter and whispers of the students I run past. I don't stop running until I make it to the girls' locker room. I hurriedly close myself into a stall and lock it.