The Lizardman Part 2

Chapter 92

Third Person POV

The largest hut in the village — the one which typically served as a meeting place — saw little use under normal circumstances. After all, the chief held absolute authority within the village, so there was hardly any need to hold meetings. Thus, it was a meeting place in name only. However, a bizarre energy filled the hut today.

It was currently jam-packed with many Lizardmen, and the originally spacious interior was now very cramped. Apart from the warrior Lizardmen, the priests, hunters, elders, and the traveller Zaryusu were present. They sat cross-legged on the ground, looking towards Shasuryu. As the tribe's chief, Shasuryu announced the beginning of the meeting, and then the head of the priests was the first to speak.

She was an aged Lizardwoman, her body painted with sinister-looking white markings. Apparently they had some sort of significance, but Zaryusu did not know what that significance was.

Priestess: Does everyone remember the clouds that covered the sky? That was magic. I know of two spells which can control the weather. The first is 「Control Weather」, a spell of the sixth tier. However, that cannot be the case here, because a magic caster who could wield such magic would be a legendary figure. The other is a spell of the fourth tier, 「Control Clouds」. Only a powerful magic caster could work such a spell, and only a fool would oppose such a person.

The similarly-painted priests nodded in approval from where they were lined up behind the High Priestess. Zaryusu understood how powerful that was, but many others could not understand how powerful the spell was even after being told that it was magic of the fourth tier. The room soon filled with puzzled muttering.

The High Priestess looked baffled, unsure of how to explain the situation to them. Then, she pointed to one of the Lizardmen. Said Lizardman had a baffled expression on his face as well, and pointed to himself.

Priestess: Yes, you. Do you think you could beat me in a fight?

The indicated Lizardman hurriedly shook his head. He might be able to win if the fight was limited to weapons, but if the use of magic was also allowed, then his odds of victory were slim. No — slim did not cover it; a mere warrior like him would have no chance at all.

Priestess: Even so, someone like me can only use magic of the second tier at best.

Lizardmen: In other words, that person's twice as strong as you, High Priestess?

The High Priestess did not know who had asked that question, but she sighed and shook her head as she heard it.

Priestess: It isn't just being twice as strong. Anyone who can use fourth tier spells could kill our chief easily...Well, it's not a given, but it's very likely.

Now that they knew how powerful fourth tier spells were, the interior of the meeting hall fell silent. Then, Shasuryu spoke again:

Shasuryu: So what you're trying to say, High Priestess, is that—

Priestess: I think we'd be better off fleeing. We stand no chance no matter how hard we fight.

Head Warrior: What the hell are you saying!?

An imposing-looking Lizardman leapt to his feet with a bass growl. He was easily the size of Shasuryu, and he was the Head Warrior of the tribe.

Head Warrior: You're telling us to run without a fight!? How could we flee from mere threats!?

Priestess: —Are you retarded? I'm saying that by the time we fight, it'll be too late for us!

The High Priestess jumped up as well, her angry eyes locked with those of the Head Warrior. Both of them began growling in low, dangerous tones. Just as the words "powderkeg" flashed through everyone's minds, a cold voice spoke: