Skull Paladin Part 2

Chapter 97

POV Demiurge

I remembered the words that my master, Kara-sama had told me before I took on my role as Jaldabaoth for this mission...

Uproot and raze the system. Burn their ideals and stomp on their beliefs. Show them fear, give them loss, make them feel pain...so that they welcome the fall of their own Kingdom with open arms.

Ahhh...even now as I visualize the events that will take place...I shiver with pure ecstasy.

POV Orlando Campone, Corporal of the Army of the Roble Holy Kingdom

Location: Great Wall

Life was pretty shit these days and I was saying that as one of the lucky ones. Ever since the isolation of the Roble Holy Kingdom, things have been going downhill. I understood why the Queen made the decision, but still...

I looked behind me where the city was. It has lost its energy and brightness. People walked around with close to no expressions...bars were mostly full of drunkards drinking away their problems and emptying their shallow wallet. Living day to day. The entire Kingdom lost its joy.

The temples lost their followers but increased in orphans. With the Kingdom no longer in shape to support, the church should have taken the chance to control and bring the Kingdom back to glory. But instead, the priests got richer while the people suffered even more. The entire belief blaming everything on the false gods of the Empire. Demonborn, Devilbred, evil incarnates and the origin of darkness, etc. Honestly, it was ridiculous which was why most people left the church. Now, it was only a shell of what it used to be with people only going when they were desperate...which was to say the last clutches of life.

Being placed at the border was possibly my luckiest thing to happen ever since the isolation. Cities were always in protest and people starving on the streets. Food never made it past the roads with hungry people buying or stealing every grain on their way to the capital and other cities. But the border?

I looked out to the vast fields of wheat and vegetables being grown. It wasn't harvest yet, but it would be soon. At least at the border people would have something to eat. A luxury that I didn't know. We always had food on the table, no matter how small. More importantly, it was safe at the border. I didn't need to be called to protect the palace or church. There were no riots to suppress or dangerous criminals (bandits are an exception) to hunt. Nobody ever came from the Empire; probably enjoying their great full lives and not giving a shit about us. I could just do nothing and sit at the wall and get paid enough to continue this boring but safe life.

At least that was my plan until...

*DING~~* *DING~~* *DING~~*

3 times...the bell rung 3 times. WHAT?

I stood up from my stool so fast that I almost lost my balance and my eyes went blind for a second. My heart began beating fast as I realized the meaning of the bell ringing 3 times.

Invasion.

But why? By whom? Wait...that was a stupid question. There was nobody but the Empire to attack us. The Beastman Kingdom was already conquered by the Empire and their people somehow became civilized and were brought into the cities to live. Out there was nothing was wasted lands, our lands. But why would they attack?

The Empire had everything they needed and they honestly seemed disinterested in the idea of taking over the Kingdom. After all, adding us to their ranks would give them nothing of value. We would drain their economy; they would need to fix our lands and put so much work into us for so little. So why were they invading?