The Emperor Part 3

Chapter 54

Several sudden intakes of breath reached my ears. It was not just one or two instances, but over ten of them, probably well over half the people who had come to this place. Many among them had not been able to fully muster their resolve against the fear that gripped them and allowed their desire to flee to show on their faces. In other words, many of the Imperial contingent had been hoping that those double doors would not open. In truth, so did I.

It was precisely because of that reason that I was grateful that the doors had opened automatically. Who knew how long they would have to wait if they needed to work up the courage to pass through those doors first? By opening by themselves, the choice had been made for us. Now, we were forced to face whatever lied beyond.

A vast room came into view, with a ceiling that was very high and very broad. The walls were predominantly white, with extensive gold decorations and highlights. Black lines and patterns rose up and down the walls, lined with priceless artifacts and artworks beyond measure.

Luxurious, multicolored chandeliers ―made of precious stones from all the colors of the rainbow― depended from the ceiling, radiating a fantastic light. Three big flags were hung on the ceiling. One predominantly white with many complicated symbols that portrayed the image of ancient and magic. The other was a mostly black flag that depicted a single dragon. A dragon that looked so real and powerful, that even a painting gave me the chills. Finally, the third flag was the symbol of Vanir. The familiar symbol of the Scale.

This room was the epitome of a "throne room". There was no better word to describe a place like this.

I and the others blanched pale as an oppressive air swept over them from inside the room.

A crimson carpet ran down the center of the room, and flanking it were a series of immeasurably powerful beings.

There were Angels, Demons, Spirits, Giants, Ice Giants, Fire Giants, Dragons, bizarre humanoids, armored knights, bipedal insect, elves and even beings that looked exactly like humans. Each was different from the other in size and appearance, but the one thing they had in common was the overwhelming might each of them possessed. These beings were arranged in two lines on either side of the carpet, and it felt too disheartening to count them.

They watched me and company in silence. Although it was said that one could sense a certain kind of strength in the eyes of those with power or status, this was the first time I had ever felt a physical pressure. Perhaps it was the fear and pressure from the minions alone, I could not raise my head to see what lay at the end of the line.

The sound of low moans and the shuddering of metal armor plates came from behind me. It was proof that my subjects were scared out of their wits.

However, I could be honest about this.

I did not intend to reproach his subordinates for showing their fear. Rather, I wanted to praise them, because every single one of them had conquered that fear and stayed behind me.

The fact that they had remained steadfast in the face of these terrifying beings was to be applauded.

My threat evaluation of these rulers rose by several dozen levels at once. My wariness had been revised ever upward since I arrived here. But even that had been far too naïve.

I had determined that Vanir was not simply a threat to the Empire, but to the continued survival of the entire species ― to humans and demihumans both...but in truth they have never shown their stance on our kind.

My eyes followed the carpet forward.

Far ahead of them were a set of stairs, and around it were assembled people that I surmised were their closest aides and warriors. On the first step, there was a massive towering man who looked obese but fit at the same time, his face completely devoid of emotion. The confusing thing but that on the step right above him, there was almost an exact copy of him but just without holding a book like the one on the first step did. There was also a tall man who had a massive stitched scar across his face below the eyes with one of his hands being a golden hook instead of a hand. There was also a swordsman who emitted an unbelievable amount of pressure, especially his eyes which resembled that of a hawk. Next to him was the single ugliest creature I had ever seen. A tall pale demon like thing with an immensely long neck with stitches all the way down. His body was round despite this and his face seemed to be fixed in a permanent smile. Next to him was what I would call a human and fish hybrid, except this one was slightly fatter than I expected. Next them were the ambassadors they had sent us. Boa Hancock in all her beauty and the tall man, Doflamingo.