Chapter 10: Secrets

Chapter 10: Secrets

I was up early the next morning, reading a book on the couch. Around 9 o clock, Chris came out of the bathroom in some fresh clothes. I hadn’t even noticed him get into the shower. He had his toothbrush in a ziplock bag, and a bundle of clothes in his other hand.

He stood on the side of the couch, facing me. When I didn’t acknowledge his presence, he spoke first, “Melanie do you still want to do this?”

“What?” I said stunned. I put the tv on mute.

“You heard what I said.”

“Do what?”

“Do you still want to be in this relationship?” I looked away. Shit, did I? I’m not gonna lie, the word yes wasn’t the first one that came to mind. But I wasn’t quite ready to give up. Yet.

“Of course I do.” I said defensively. “Why would you even say something like that?”

“I’m just asking Mel, because you can barely look at me, let alone let me get near you!” He said, sounding somewhat angry.

I stood up and walked over to him, now looking him in the eye. “You think I want to be afraid of you?!”

“I didn’t say that,” He said.

“Well you were thinking it weren’t you? I bet you think I’ll use any little thing against you so I can find an excuse to break up with you, don’t you? Don’t you! Because of my “commitment issues” right?”

“I never said that either…”

“Whatever. I know you think that I’m looking for an easy way out. I’m not stupid, Chresanto.” I scoffed and walked past him, ready to lock myself up in my room, go out somewhere, something.

“Mel, stop being so damn paranoid! I was not thinking that!”

I stopped and turned around. “Surrrrrrrre.”

He sighed. “Honestly, I’m sick of fighting with you over every little thing.”

“You don’t think I am too? There would be nothing to fight about if we had just called the cops when this whole thing started!”

He paused for a minute. “Melanie,”

“No! It’s the truth and you know it! If we would have just called the cops when this all first started then none of this shit would have happened!”

“Mel the cops wouldn’t have been able to do anything! You didn’t have any proof he was stalking you!”

“I had you! I had you as a witness, they would’ve believed me.”

“Melanie, trust me. They wouldn’t have! The cops have it in for me, as soon as they found out I was somewhat involved they would’ve tried to turn things around on me somehow!”

“Bullshit! Why would they even do that?”

“I’m not kidding Melanie. The chief of police has been trying to put me in jail for years! Why do you think they believed Rayan’s story?!”

“Well whose fault is that?” I spat. “What did you even do to get this “bad reputation” I’m hearing about huh? Did you kill someone? That’s not hard to believe considering this new side I’m seeing of you.”

His expression changed when I said this. I took a step back, not sure what to expect. “Stop it. I told you not to come, I told you exactly what I was going to do. I didn’t want you to come. You don’t know what you’re talking about….”