Later, Loser

"How was it?" Jess asked me from his place by the stove as I entered our apartment. The place smelled of coffee and pasta.

Over the time that we had spent living together, we had learnt how to cook some food so that we didn't starve to death or go completely broke by only buying takeout. After a lot of trouble -mainly broken eggs on the floor and burnt spaghetti because someone forgot to add water- we had finally managed to successfully prepare edible meals for the two of us.

I put my bag and coat on the hook by the door. "The same as it was last week," I fill up two mugs of coffee and sit down at the table. Getting an internship at one of the top law firms in New York was hard, but keeping up with all the work they had given me was harder.

"Well, would you like some good news?" Jess asked as he plated some spaghetti bolognese on a plate for the two of us.

I sigh and put my head in my hands. "After this day, the news I need is that the Bangles are getting back together."

He laughs lightly before setting the plate in front of me and taking a seat at the table. "Well, it's slightly less exciting." I urged him to continue as I take a forkful of my spaghetti. "The book sold two thousand copies."

At his words, the food nearly fell out of my open mouth. "Two thousand?" I repeat as he nods his head in confirmation. "Wow, that's amazing!" I say with a wide smile on my face.

"I know," Jess agreed as he looked down at his plate. "It's going really well, better than I ever thought it would."

"I just know it's going to get better," I say confidently. "I'm so proud of you, I told you it was great."

The knock at the door cut off Jess' response. Both of our heads turned to the door in confusion. I tried to think if there was anyone we were supposed to be expecting.

"Rory?" Jess asked me as I shook my head. She wasn't supposed to come till next week.

"Liz?" I asked if his mother could be here but he merely shook his head as well. I made a move towards the door but Jess stopped me with a hand on my arm. "Don't open it," he chided as I raise an eyebrow. "This is New York, it could be a serial killer."

The person on the other side of the door knocked once more, getting impatient no doubt. "It could also be Britney Spears, it is New York after all," I throw his words back in his face as I open the door.

A man stood on the other side of the door. He had on a hat that covered some thinning blonde hair. He had a face that showed that he was no older than 40 and he had green eyes that made me confused because I felt like I'd seen those somewhere before.

Jess came up behind me and put his arm around my shoulder. "Can we help you?" He asked as he sized the guy up.

The man looked between Jess and I before his gaze rested on me. "Are you Cassandra Quinn?"

"Depends on whose asking and what for," I replied warily. I may be a grown adult, but when my mother says don't talk to strangers, I usually listen.

The man shifted his weight between his feet nervously. "I just need some legal help and someone mentioned you and I thought you'd help me."

I look to Jess to see if he heard everything I just did. The fact that this strange man that showed up on our doorstep knew what I do in college."Don't take this the wrong way," I told the man, "But what makes you think that I'd help you? Do I know you?"

"Um, no. But, technically yes." The man stuttered out as I waited for him to continue. "I'm your father."

It was as if the words didn't register in my head. I mean I heard him, but I just didn't process that my father was suddenly at my doorstep.