To Kill A Mockingbird

"Hey, Doll!"

I turned around in the streets of Stars Hollow to see Babette waving at me with Morey by her side. They looked like Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis together. One short, one tall.

I give them both a small smile as I stop my walk to Luke's. "Hello," I greet as they near me.

Babette grins at me, her hand intertwined with Morey's. "Good to have you back. While you were gone we got someone else come into town." She explains always quick to get in on the gossip.

That's the thing about small towns, I didn't even tell them I had left. Yet, they still managed to find out. If you've ever heard of privacy, you can forget it if you live in Stars Hollow.

"Who came into town?"

Babette looked at the diner that was a few blocks from us. "You going to Luke's?" She asks as I nod. "Then you'll find out there." We said our goodbyes before I headed back to my destination.

The bell rang as I walked into Luke's diner. The place smelled like freshly brewed coffee and pancakes. I looked around and saw that Rory and Lorelai were at the counter talking to Luke.

"For the last time I will not give you two anymore coffee," Luke said carefully as if he were talking to a six year old.

Lorelai and Rory both pouted their lips with sad eyes looking up at Luke who was standing behind the counter with a pot of coffee in his hand. Luke's face looked like it was made of stone but then he crumbled.

Luke sighed and poured them each a cup of coffee. "If you guys die at fifty it's not my fault," he warned them. I walked over to them and took a seat next to Rory.

"Oh, we're not planning to make it that long-" Lorelai started but was interrupted by her daughter.

"Cassie!" Rory exclaimed before engulfing me in a hug.

"Oh great, another coffee addict," Luke muttered sarcastically before he left to fetch me a cup.

"Hey honey, how was your trip?" Lorelai asked before hugging me.

Lorelai was referring to my trip back to London to visit my relatives with my family. "It was great!" I said telling the two Gilmores.

"When did you get back?" Rory inquired.

"We arrived back yesterday at around four, I think."

Luke came back with a warm cup of coffee and placed it in front of me. "Good to have you back kid," Luke said with a kind smile before ruffling my hair with his hand. "I could use some extra help around here." He added before he left to please some customers.

"What about Jess?" Rory asked, but Luke was already gone.

"Who?" I questioned Lorelai and Rory.

"He's Luke's nephew, he just moved here two days ago. His mom sent him here," Rory explained as she sipped her coffee. So he must be who Babette was talking about. I don't understand why she didn't just tell me then and there.

Lorelai rolled her eyes at the mention of Jess. "I wonder why," she commented.

I studied how Lorelai's lips pressed into a fine line. "I'm guessing we're not fond of him?" I guessed as Rory just shrugged.

Suddenly, the sound of heavy footsteps could be heard from the stairs behind the kitchen. A boy around my age with dark hair and chocolate brown eyes came out into the diner wearing a leather jacket with a book in his hand. He looked good, not gonna lie, but he also looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Jess!" Luke called the boy over to us. So this was Jess. He walked over to behind the counter to stand with Luke. Jess stood next to Luke and took out a book from his back pocket. 'I know that book' I thought to myself.

"Jess Mariano, this is Cassandra." Luke said anxiously as if he were waiting for Jess to throw the toaster across the room. Upon closer examination I noticed he was wearing the exact same jacket as me. Nice to know he has good taste.

Jess, who has started to read his book looked up to meet my eyes. "Hey," he simply greeted before returning to his book. Well, he doesn't seem too friendly.

"To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favourite books," I observed with a blank expression, waiting for his reaction.

"What?" Jess asked, clearly surprised by what I said. He stood up straighter and cocked his head to the side.

"That's one of my favourite books," I repeated, gesturing to the book in his hands.

Jess put his book in his back pocket looking at me, when his eyes landed on my jacket the corners of his mouth twitched.

"What did you say your name was again?" He questioned with a smirk on his face. Trying to play it cool I see.

I flashed him a smile. "Cassandra Quinn." I disclosed, extending my hand.

Jess took my hand carefully and shook it. "Well, I'll see you around, Quinn," he says with a small nod before walking out of the diner.

"That was the nicest he's ever been to a person since he got here," Luke, who I forgot was here, said with a look of bewilderment on his face.

"Yup," Lorelai agreed as she finished off her coffee.

"Well, if it's any consolation," I start as they all avert their eyes to me. "He didn't seem that bad."

Lorelai scoffed, "He made a really good audition for Breakfast Club the other day. Yeah, he's a real John Bender."

"Ignore her," Rory whispered to me. "She's as bitter as the coffee."

"Hey! You know my coffee is sweet!" Lorelai joked.

Luke came back with the pot of coffee to refill Lorelai's mug. "Hate to break it to you, but your mothers right." He says.

"Hah!" Lorelai says triumphantly.

"One time I saw her put in three packets of sugar. Three!" Luke recalls. "How do you do that?"

Lorelai sends him a grateful smile at the agreement. "It isn't for the faint of heart."