2246 Broadway

This was a bad idea. A very, very bad idea. I sat on the bus and fidgeted in my seat. The cast on my right arm itched as I thought of the many things that could go wrong.

First of all, Jess could not even want to see me -he left, after all. Second of all, I could get lost in New York. I could get kidnapped or killed. Lastly, the worst of all of those combined. My mother could find out and kill me. Considering that I was still in my school uniform, I was sure I would stick out like a sore thumb on the streets of New York.

Nevertheless, I stayed in my seat as the bus rode on to New York.

~~~

As I roamed the busy streets of Times Square, I wondered where Jess could be. It reminded me of the time when I went looking for Jess after he got in a fight with Chuck Presby. The only difference was that this time it wasn't in my small town home. It was in one of the busiest city ever.

I felt people bustling around me as they hurried to get to wherever they had to be at eleven in the morning. Parents brought children by their hands and business men carried briefcases. The sound of a cars engine reversing along with the occasional cabbie screaming at people filled the air.

In the back of my mind I thought of myself living here. Waking up early in the morning to get coffee at my favourite diner. I already knew nothing would beat Luke's but someone had to at least come close.

I thought of heading over to the law firm that I work at. Going to sleep late at night cause I was staying up watching old movies with somebody. Somebody. That was weird.

Usually when I picture my life I was always alone, I never had somebody to wake up next to. I never thought of someone to fall asleep next or to have dinner with. But lately there was always someone with me. I think I had a vague idea of who they would be.

Passing by a vintage looking bookstore, I was struck with the memory of Jess telling me one of his favourite places was a vintage bookstore. I couldn't remember the name of the place but the address 2246 Broadway was stuck in my mind.

Looking around me to ask anyone for some directions, my face landed on an old man. He had greying hair and had on a long coat on. He sat in the bench while tossing some bread to the local pigeons.

"Excuse me!" I called out as I approached the man.

He turned his head in my direction with a kind smile. "Yes, miss?"

I stand in front of him, blocking the sun from his view. "I was just wondering if you could point me in the direction of 2246 Broadway?" I ask politely.

"Of course, it's right over here." He points to the row of shops next to the bookstore. "This whole row."

"Thank you!" I exclaim as I head in the direction of the bookstore.

Opening the door, a bell rings over my head. Taking in the smell of paperback books and something that smelled faintly of coffee. My vision was clouded with the colours brown, beige and cream.

There in front of me was a narrow hallway lined with books from floor to ceiling that led deeper into the bookstore. A steep staircase that went up to the second floor was pushed to the right side of the room.

Momentarily, I forgot why I was in New York in the first place. My fingers travelled across the spine of books as I walked. I skimmed the titles until I found one that I recognised. 'Wuthering Heights'.

Of course, I had my own copy at home. But not one like this. This was a hardcover version that looked like it belonged in Belle's library from Beauty and The Beast. It was a deep brown colour that looked like leather and had the title and author inscribed in a classic gold font.