Cambridge and Oxford

So it was safe to say that my mum hadn't found out about me going to New York with Jess. It's been a few weeks since then and it was full of Jess and I sneaking around and trying not to get caught.

Usually with the help of Michel. When Jess and Michel meet it was like one big bowl of human hatred. Sometimes they would even greet each other by saying the number of people that had gotten on their nerves and/or wanted to kill that day. Michel currently had the highest rate of eight. Most of the time it was Taylor or Kirk on that list.

In other words, I was safe, for now. It was only a matter of time before my mum found out so I had to make sure to tell her soon. But soon is not today. Today was the day that I had gotten all my college application forms. Needless to say the two of us had enough stuff to worry about today.

"Alright, first question," my mum began from her seat at the kitchen table. According to her, seven o'clock at night was too late to get started on the forms but I just couldn't wait any longer. "Personal information, full name and nickname."

I sip at the half empty soda can in my hand before answering her. "The nickname would be Cassie."

My mum glanced over at me teasingly with the stack of papers in her hand. "Or CeeCee?"

My nose scrunched up at the horrible name. "No one ever called me that, and thank god for that."

She shakes her head at me. "Wrong, your grandpa called you that when you were a baby."

"Horrible choice," I comment with a slight frown. "We're not putting that down."

"But we need an accurate answer," my mum persists. "I'm afraid that if we don't answer honestly, the Yale police will knock you on the head with their batons and wrap you in their blue flags."

"I always thought blue was a good colour on me," I retorted as my mum averted my gaze.

She kept her eyes trained on the forms as she responded to me, "No, honey that was green."

I furrow my eyebrows at her. "But blue still looks good on me, right?" When she doesn't answer me I feel as if I know the answer. "Mum!" I exclaim in horror at her misleading.

"Oh, look at this question," she evades effortlessly. "Parental information, mother."

"A liar," I answer sarcastically, still bummed out that she let me believe I look good in blue.

"Breathtaking," my mum complemented herself. "Father," my mum trails off, not knowing how to respond.

I play with the now empty soda can in my hand as I answer. "A douche."

My mother, deciding not to dwell on that went on to the next question. "Personal statement?"

I peer over to see the paper. "That's the essay, the Big Bang."

"Theory?" My mum tried to finish my sentence. At my look of disapproval she went back to the paper. "You can evaluate a significant experience that had an impact on you, or you can write about a person who had a significance influence in you."

"You?" I suggest half-serious. "Or maybe the guy who gave me that free cd."

"Ah yes," my mum sighed as she remembers that fateful day in Connecticut. "The guy who got you started on AC/DC. It might send the wrong idea though."

I frown as I think of why it wouldn't be a good  idea. "The fact that I was four?"

"That's the one," my mum agrees before going on to the next question. "What activities  interest you?"