I'm Late

Avoiding Jess was a lot harder than I thought. Considering how tiny this town was I shouldn't have been surprised. I would constantly bump into him at the bookstore or Doose's Market. It didn't help that we both work in the same place. Even the days that I don't work at Luke's I still have to go in for breakfast and my coffee.

Despite almost always being in the same place, neither of us made a move to talk. I wasn't planning on shutting him out forever, I don't think my body could take that. I was waiting for him to apologise first. He is the one who crossed the line. Granted, I did say 'fuck you', but I think that it was a good call with what he said to me.

Currently, I was packing my bag with books and my notes for the big debate at Chilton. Being on the same team as Paris and Rory, they were pretty confident we would win. I was also pretty sure of us but I always liked to prepare for the worst.

And by worst, I mean my mother making me late. You see I have an issue about timing. I've had to time every bus and car ride to a place then remember or write it down. That way I knew exactly how much time we could spare before being late. Right now I have exactly thirteen minutes to leave the house so that I can make the 44 minute bus ride.

Looking over my bag contents once again I make sure I have everything before zipping it up and heading out the door.

"Mum," I call out as I walk down the stairs. "Have you seen my tie?"

I put my bag down by the door and head into the kitchen. My mother was sitting at the small table, looking at the paper with my tie in her hands. She held it up to me without taking her eyes off the paper.

"Are you gonna head to Luke's?" She asks as I grab the tie from her with a quick 'thanks'.

I was in the hallway looking in the mirror trying to fix my tie as I answer her. "I don't think so, I don't wanna be late." The walk there was eight minutes alone. Also, I didn't exactly want to see Jess that day. This was probably one of the biggest debates I've done this year and I didn't need anything distracting me.

"Do you want me to heat up some pop-tarts?" She offers as I pin back my dark hair with some clips.

"Yes, please!" I check my watch, eleven minutes. I can eat in eleven minutes. I check my appearance in the mirror to make sure my uniform was in place. I hear some shuffling from the kitchen and start to make my way over.

That was before the knock on the front door. I glanced at the door. "I'll get it!" I tell my mum before heading over to the door.

Once I open the door I instantly felt the need to slam it close again. Before me stood Jess wearing what looked like a band t-shirt and a jacket over it. He stood up straight with his hands behind his back.

Looking at his face I realised that for the first time since I've met him a few months ago, he looks nervous. If it was any other day I would have made some comment about his shirt or hair. But today wasn't any other day.

I looked into his warm brown eyes and gave him a small shake of the head. "I can't do this right now."

I made a move to close the door but Jess took two steps forward and put his foot between the door. "Wait, please."

"Who is it Cassie?" I hear my mother call.

Knowing that my mother wasn't exactly his biggest fan, I knew I had to lie if I wanted Jess gone in one piece. I may not exactly like him right now but that didn't mean he deserved to be stabbed to death by a fork.

"It's no one! I'm just gonna step outside for a minute." I lie before opening the door and stepping outside.

I lean against the door as I face Jess. "I told you, I can't right now."