Tea and Biscuits

Opening the big oak doors to the Gilmore's Mansion was bringing back some memories. It reminded me of the time that I had to go back and visit my grandparents.

The only difference was that the maid who answered the door was different. "Hello," she said timidly as Rory and I entered the house. We both said our hello's before the maid offered to take our coat.

"Oh, no thank you," Rory says. "We'll just be here for a few minutes." I nod my head, agreeing with her.

We were led out onto the patio where four lady's were talking over what looked like tea and biscuits. They were all talking loudly except for one of them. She was a brunette with a string of white pearls around her neck that complemented her purple pant suit. She was talking on the phone while waving her hands around.

All of their talking ceased as we came into their line of sight. "Oh, Rory! Cassandra! What a nice surprise" Emily Gilmore greeted.

"Hey, Grandma. Sorry to but in like this." Rory apologies.

Emily looks the two of us over before shaking her head. "Nonsense. Come and meet my friends." She welcomes as we approach the table. "Ladies, I'd like you to meet my granddaughter Rory. This is Cassandra Quinn, her grandmother-" Emily was interrupted by the woman in the purple pantsuit.

She looks at me with wide eyes. "Oh, this is Cassandra!" She exclaims in delight, the phone still pressed to her ear. All eyes turn to me. I gave a wary smile, seeing as I've never met this woman in my life. Everyone else also seemed pretty surprised at her outburst.

"Um, yes. Hello, it's nice to meet you," I politely say.

She gives me a wide smile before turning back to the phone in her hands. "Rosalind! You'll never guess who just walked in!"

Rosalind. That was my grandmother. What was she doing? It must be late all the way in London. I tried to think of reasons why on earth she would be up at this time.

Ignoring her friend, a lady with blonde hair in a black and white dress looked towards us. "My goodness, what pretty girls you are," she complemented.

"They look just like their mothers, don't they," another lady commented.

"The eyes," this was aimed at Rory. Seeing as I supposedly have my fathers eyes.

"The nose! My god, it's the exact same shade of hair!" This was directed at me.

One of them pointed her finger at us. "Walk around, darling."

"Oh, Sunny leave the poor girls alone," Emily defended.

Sunny frowned at this. "I just want to see the walk. Lorelai had such a specific walk." She tried to explain.

"Fast."

"That was it. But Maria, oh Maria. She had such an elegant walk." Sunny said as everyone else nodded in agreement.

Emily looked over at us with a smile. "Come, sit. Would you like some tea, girls?"

Rory gave an apologetic look as she said, "I came to pick up a book Grandpa was supposed to leave."

"Oh yes, it might be on his desk."

Rory thanks her grandmother. She looks at me with a shrug. I beg her with my eyes, telling her not to leave me alone. Rory mouths an apology before heading to look for her book.

Emily looks at me invitingly. "Why don't you sit, while waiting for Rory?"

With a sigh I nod slightly. I pull out one of the two empty chairs, sitting next to Sunny. "How old are you and Rory?" She asks.

"We're sixteen," I answer.

"That's a nice age," one of them say.

The woman who was taking to my grandmother finally hangs up her phone. "Cassandra, you're grandmother wishes you well." She sends me a warm smile.

I decided I like her out of everyone at this table. She seemed like she wasn't trying to get me to do some big fancy thing or looking at me like I was meat to be sold at the market. I merely nod at her.

Sunny sips her tea. "Have you thought about her debut?"

Oh no. I know what that was. I've heard horror stories from my mother about hers. She said everything was absolutely dreadful. Except for the cake. She told me the cake was nice. Although none of the girls ate it.

"That reminds me!" The woman who spoke to my grandmother says excitedly. No. Please, god no. Don't be what I think it is. "Rosalind has a favour to ask you, Emily."

Emily turns to her confused. "Well, what is it?"

"Well," she starts with a excited smile towards me. Oh shit. "Rosalind needs you to help Cassandra here with her first ever debut!" I take back whatever nice things I said about her. I take it all back.

Everyone around the table claps lightly and sends me looks as if I've won the lottery. To me it was the total opposite.

"Oh I would love to!" Emily exclaims. "But isn't it a little late?"

One of them at the table said how the 'Daughters of the Daughters American Revolution' are having their debutante ball next week. And how she was sure they'd bend the rules for my grandmother.

"Oh! You could also have Rory debut! Girls like them have to!" 'Well at least I don't have to suffer alone," I thought.

Emily looked at her half eaten biscuit on her plate as she thought of her options.

"Yes, they'll definitely be the prettiest ones there."

"Except for Katie Hettington," Sunny said with a scoff.

The lady in back and white turned to sunny with a gasp. "No. Didn't you hear? Katie Hettington fell off her horse. There's a scar on he face." She said with such disappointment.

That made me think back to all the time I've had scabs on my face from my zits and falling down. I wonder if they still thought I'd be pretty if I had those in my face.

"Oh well then they'll definitely be the prettiest ones there," my grandmothers friend said. "It'll be your crowning moment."

Emily looks at her friends with wide eyes. After a few seconds her shocked look turns into a looks of joy. She smiled so wide I was scared her cheeks would tear.

I fidgeted in my seat. Watching all these ladies I barely know discuss my debutante ball was like watching a train derail. There was nothing I could do to stop it. Where was Rory? I couldn't take any more of this.

As if on cue, Rory came back out to the patio with a book in her hand. "I found it," she announces.

Everyone turns around to look at her with wicked grins on their faces. Rory looked at them like she was a deer caught in headlights. She looked at me as I gave her a sad shake of my head.

"Rory, why don't you come sit down for a minute. We've got something to tell you."