We're Jacket Buddies!

"Hey Merritt," I greeted the store owner as I walked up to the counter.

Merritt was the owner of Stars Hollow Books. He was a man in his early forties who always had on his newspaper boy hat that covered his dark hair. According to legend -and by legend, I mean Lane Kim- Merritt was from the streets of New Orleans.

Which would explain the accent. "Awrite, Cassie," he replied as he raised a dark hand to tip his hat.

I flashed him a grin as I asked, "You got any goods for me?"

Merritt gave me a pointed look, saying "Now when have I ever let you down?" Before reaching down to pull three books from behind the counter. He laid them out on the counter for me to see.

"Thank you so much," I was about to grab the books but he quickly pulled them back towards him.

"Hey!" I protested.

Merritt gave me a 'tut, tut' as I glared at him. "There's a catch," he drawled playfully.

"Obviously there's a catch! I'm paying for the them!" I exclaimed as Merritt rolled his eyes at me.

"Another catch," he started. I urged him to continue. "You gotta take a look over there." He pointed towards two rows of shelves.

Instead of arguing with him I nodded my head. Merritt always knew what to give me. Everything from William Shakespeare to Emily Dickinson. I've always trusted his judgment. He was like a wikipedia for books.

I grabbed the books on the counter and proceeded to check out the rows of books that was pointed out to me.

After about an hour of me just inspecting books from the shelves and occasionally grabbing a few, before adding them to the stack in my hands. I decided I was ready to check them out.

I was about to head to the counter to pay when I felt someone collide with me. My books fell from my arms as they scattered upon the ground. I looked around to see whoever knocked into me ready to give them a piece of my mind, and a finger, but the culprit was nowhere in sight.

As I knelt down to pick up my books I felt someone behind me. "Need a hand?" The voice asked. I looked up to see Jess leaning on a bookshelf with a book in his hand.

I nodded my head and mumbled a quick 'thanks' as Jess knelt down beside me and picked up a couple of books.

~~~

When we both walked out of the bookstore I realised Jess still had my books. "Oh, let me take those," I insisted as Jess just moved out of my reach.

"It's okay I got those," Jess protested with a small smile. Jess currently had majority of my books in his hands while I only had 2. I huffed out a breath of cold air as I tried to grab my books back from him. Jess just kept running away.

"What a gentleman," I sarcastically remarked as Jess just smirked. I looked up to see a cluster of stars in the night sky. I had spent most of the day in the bookstore, I just realised.

I took a look at Jess from the corner of my eye and saw he was looking up at the sky with a small smile on his face. "I didn't think you'd appreciate it," I whispered just loud enough for him to hear.

We were walking aimlessly along the deserted streets of Stars Hollow. Most people were usually in their homes by this time.

Jess looked at me with a look of fake hurt written across his face. "What makes you say that?" He inquired.

I just shrugged. "Most people don't," I responded.

He scoffed before looking down at me, him being taller than me. "Of course I would," He retorts as he rolls his eyes.

"What makes you say that?" I argued as I repeated his words with a raised brow.

"Because we're jacket buddies!" Jess announced sarcastically and quite loudly, might I add, as he nudged my shoulder with his as I let out a small laugh.