Love, Rosie

"You know you're gonna have to wear a tux right?" I ask Jess from beside him on the couch as the intro to Fight Club played out on the tv.

He put his arm around my shoulder as I lean my head on him. "If James Bond can do it, so can I." We had the house to ourselves since my mum had to go out and grab some stuff for Lorelai's birthday surprise. I had already helped earlier that morning before school.

"I still can't believe you agreed to take me to prom," I sigh out in disbelief. After a lot, and I mean a lot of persuading, Jess had agreed to take us to prom. Normally I hated stuff like this but I wanted to have the full high school experience

Without taking his eyes of the tv, Jess responds to my comment. "I'm just surprised that you want to go, just doesn't seem like you."

"Isn't it great that I surprise you?" I grinned up at him as he turned his attention away from the movie. He pressed a small kiss to my lips with a smile. "I'll take that as a yes," I joked.

After a few more minutes of us just watching the movie in silence, Jess spoke up. "You know what's been bugging me?"

I began to get scared that it was probably me. Maybe I was too clingy? Or too annoying or just not good enough for him. I covered up my internal panic with a joke, as I always did. "The fact that Brad Pitt doesn't look as good as you would be in a tux?"

He laughs lightly before continuing with his initial question. "I don't know what your middle name is," that was a big relief.

"To be fair, I don't know yours either." I fire back with a smirk. "It's only fair that you tell me yours if you want to know mine."

He groans at my proposition, "But mine is so old fashioned. I'm pretty sure my mum was high on what drugs they gave her when she named me."

"Do you want to know it or not?" I raise an eyebrow at him, knowing that he was gonna say yes.

"Fine," he began with a roll of his eyes. "But you're going first."

"Mine's Rose," I cringed as I said the name. "After my grandmother." Rose was such an old lady name, it was a name that you'd see in a Nicholas Sparks novel. Both was pretty bad

"Well, that's not so bad." He stated with an encouraging smile. "Mine is just like yours, old and after a grandparent."

I gesture for him to continue, eager to find out what it was. "So?"

He lets out a sigh before speaking. "It's William," he lets out as I frown.

I eyed him carefully before speaking, "You don't look like a William."

"And you don't look like a Rosie," he retorted as I swat his hand away from ruffling my hair.

"It's Rose," I corrected.

He shakes his head at me, "Rosie sounds cuter." Jess kisses my cheek affectionately as I smile lightly.

"Rose and William," I said out loud with an excited grin. "William and Rose," I repeated as I couldn't get how good those names sounded together out of my mind.

Apparently, Jess had the same thought. "Sounds good together don't they?" He questioned as I nodded my head in agreement. "Like something that came straight out of the movie Titanic."

"Rosie and Willy," I joked as Jess groaned in protest.

"Now you've just ruined it."

~~~

What felt like the whole town was waiting by the gazebo for Lorelai and Rory to walk by. A big banner that read 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORELAI!' hung up above the gazebo in a flurry of pink glitter and flowers.

I watched as Kirk tried to set down the worlds largest pizza done onto the table by using a crane. I doubted it was the worlds largest pizza but I was confident it was the towns largest pizza. I stood next to Lane as we watched my mum and Sookie order people around.

"You and Jess and still coming to the party on Saturday right?" She asked me as she pushed the glasses up the bridge of her nose.

On Saturday was Lane and her bands first official gig. The thing is that they haven't come up with a name yet. I had recommended 'The Death of Lane's Purple Hair' but they voted me out. If they didn't want a kickass band name, fine by me then.

"Of course we're coming," I reassured her. "This is a moment in history that needs to be recorded and put in a museum."

"Maybe the town hall but not a museum," Lane disagreed.

I shook my head at her, "You're not thinking big enough." I grab her by the shoulders and look off into the distance as if picturing something. "Think bigger. Think of your biggest show."

"My mums funeral?" She joked as I frown her way.

"Bigger."

"Beyoncé's wedding day?"

I shake my head at her, "Bigger."

"Madison Square Garden?" She exclaimed excitedly as I nod in approval.

"And you know who's gonna be in the front row?" I asked as Lane's eyes lit up.

She gasped and turned to me, "Paul McCartney?"

"Maybe," I begin as I point in her direction, signaling that she was in the right track. "And me."

She sighs out happily before smiling at me, "Thanks."

"Anything for a friend," I bump her shoulder with mine.

"You know what else you could do for a friend?" She asked as I nodded for her to continue. "You could make up with another friend, someone who rhymes with Cory Pillmore."

"I told you," I started to Lane. "Me and Rory just need some time," I repeated for what felt like the fifth time to Lane.

"But-" I cut Lane off before she could get any further.

"No buts," I scolded. "Unless it's your butt walking up to the stage in Madison Square Garden."

Lane gave up with a roll of her eyes. "Fine."

We both watched as Sookie ran up to all of us with an excited grin on her face. "Places everyone!" She shouted.

All of us moved into place and lit up the bright lights just as Rory and Lorelai walked into view. I watched as Lorelai stopped her steps and looked at the place in awe. Rory stood beside her mother with a proud smile on her face.

"Surprise!"