December Things

The morning after putting the tree up, we woke up to snow covering the ground and still coming down.  I always loved the snow, so right after breakfast I begged the guys to go outside with me on a walk.  It always seemed like the snow created a sound barrier and made the world around me quieter.  It made it feel more personal, like there were no other people for miles. At the same time though, it made it feel like the world had no ending or beginning because there were no sounds except for the few ice pellets you could hear hit when they reached the end of their journey.

The trees were heavy with mounds of snow barely being held up by branches.  There were limbs who gave way to the weight of the precipitation when they could no longer hold it. The clumps of snow that had gathered on them falling into the soft inches below making the sound of a light thump. Dodger would investigate the sound or follow the trail of some woodland creature who had walked by recently. 

We didn't stay out too long because it was so cold. Once we got back in and removed the layers of clothes we had on, I had a few emails to respond to, so I headed to the office.  When I was finished, I made my way to the living room only to find Scott, sitting alone on the sofa, so I asked where his brother was.

"Where's Chris?"

"Bedroom."  His one word answer meant somebody was up to something or he was irritated by something.

Walking towards the bedroom, I could already smell the fireplace and hear the wood popping as it was catching fire.  Chris had opened the floor length curtains to the panaramic view of the snow falling heavily now in the backyard.  When I walked further in, I found candles lit along the mantle and could feel the warmth the fire was already bringing.

Chris was already laying down with a cuddly brown and white fur ball.  My cozy looking boyfriend had on a flannel shirt, jeans and his Ugg slippers.  As soon as he saw me, he patted the empty space beside him, opposite of Dodger, with a sweet grin plastered to his face. 

When I made my way to the bed, I glanced up at the television and found Charlie Brown's Christmas paused.

Laying his arm out for me to snuggle into his chest, Chris spoke up.  "I figured we could have a little date."

"It's actually perfect, I still haven't thawed out from being outside."

As I laid down on Chris' chest, he made a low sounding hum that I heard deep down before he wrapped his arm around me and spoke.  "I can definitely help thaw you out properly later, but for now, snuggling will have to do because I want to experience as much as we can for our first Christmas together.  Watching Charlie Brown while it's snowing outside, a fire built with my girl beside me and my best bud laying on the other side, is definitely doing just that."

Reaching up, I placed a kiss on his cheek before I questioned Chris.  "How are you even real?"

"I wonder the same about you all the time.  I did post this before you came in."  Chris showed me his phone which had his public Instagram pulled up.