-2.5-

'you know, you'll always know me'-dorothea

"Sirius Black is in the castle!"

The Great Hall was filled with murmurs and whispers as all four houses filtered in. Something had happened. Ravenclaw had been the last house to make their way into the hall, and Ophelia was desperately scouring the room for a certain redhead. Last time there had been such a commotion, Ginny had been the centre of it all- her sister was assuming the worst.

Much to her relief, her eyes caught her twin's from the other side of the room, and it was clear they'd been thinking the same thing. Ophelia squeezed past a group of Hufflepuffs, dodging around a few first year Slytherins before pulling her sister into a tight hug. They didn't need to say anything, interlocking their little fingers as they pulled apart.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore began, sending the hall into silence, "for your own safety, you will all remain here for tonight."

Sleeping bags were summoned, and students settled down in small groups around the hall. Harry, Ron and Hermione had found a spot in a far right corner, so Ophelia headed in that direction, still attached to Ginny. After laying their sleeping bags on the ground, the sisters stayed sitting for a moment. Luna had settled next to the pair, braiding a small section of Ginny's hair, and Daisy was resting her head on Ophelia's shoulder, stifling a yawn. It was clear they were all too nervous to sleep.

"Penny said lights out in ten," Elijah strolled over to the group of second years, flopping down onto the bag opposite the twins, "is everyone alright?"

They all nodded, not sure who was lying. Ophelia's eyes caught some bottle-green ones a few feet away. They'd become good at wordless communication, and she could see he was worried. It was Harry that Black was after, everyone knew it. She'd just hoped it wasn't true. 

The second years sat in silence, just glad to be in each other's company. Daisy eventually drifted off first, still fixed to Ophelia's shoulder, Luna and Ginny next, barely inches apart. Elijah helped move Daisy into her sleeping bag before taking her place beside the red head who was left awake, slinging a lazy arm around her shoulders.

"She'll be okay, you know," the blonde boy squeezed her reassuringly, the flickering candles illuminating his gentle smile, "Ginny, I mean. She's strong. Plus she has you." 

Ophelia's mouth turned up slightly, but before she knew it, tears were streaming down her cheeks. She'd been fighting them off all evening, but she couldn't hold them in anymore, surrendering to the dread that was sat in her stomach. Elijah just held her tighter, allowing her to bury her face in his shoulder. Remembering how he'd seen her comfort Ginny, he rocked slightly, stroking the side of her head. 

He'd noticed it all. How she'd come back to school tired and on edge, how she'd go out of her way to make sure Ginny got to her lessons, staying up for hours in the common room, finishing the homework she'd skipped to help her sister with hers. He often stayed with her, pretending he had work too. He and Daisy would take shifts keeping her company, Daisy secretly finishing some of the work for her if she ever fell asleep. Their friend was struggling, and they loved her enough to make sure she wouldn't struggle alone. He smiled to himself as her sniffling gradually grew quieter, until her breathing softened, leaving her in a peaceful sleep.