Chapter 55

~ Not really sure how to feel about it, something in the way you move.

Makes me feel like I can't live without you, it takes me all the way. ~

***

Tension gripped the Order headquarters as news had come a while earlier that their squad had been attacked by the Death Eaters. Felicity, Peter and Sirius were part of that squad along with a number of senior Order members including Alice and Frank Longbottom, while Alicia, Remus and Marlene had been sent out on another mission. 

But the latter trio had returned before them and were informed of the dreadful news, equally worried for their friends' safety.

Marlene was pacing the hall in anxiety, Alicia and Remus were trying to establish connection with the Order members for any further news. There was no knowing how much damage their friends would have sustained in the attack but it was clear that the damage could prove to be fatal.

They were up against Dark wizards after all and the consequences were not in their favor.

Time passed without any news and with every passing second they were getting more anxious. But at last, the gates of the Headquarters opened to permit the injured squad as they finally stumbled inside their refuge.

"Felicity!" Marlene had rushed to her in an instant, her eyes taking in the disheveled state and the cuts on her girlfriend's skin.

The rest of them were in no different condition either, thankfully there had been no casualties but they were all wounded quite terribly. 

The Healers present within the Order had arranged the hall into a makeshift infirmary as one by one all the injured Aurors were brought over to get treated. Alice Longbottom was unconscious and given her state, it was a miracle she had survived.

Marlene held onto Felicity as they waited for the others to receive treatment, her fingers dusted away the blood and soot from Fel's face, her eyes focused on her in concern.

"I'm fine," Felicity mumbled, entwining their fingers together, "don't be so worried."

"I'm telling you, Fel, I won't let you take up any other mission until you fully recover," she remarked, her lips gently touching her forehead in a sweet kiss. 

A smile spread on Felicity's features as she nodded, "I have you to take care of me, right? I will recover very soon."

Eventually with all of them getting patched up and submitting their report to Dumbledore about the attack, they were finally allowed to return to their homes. Marlene, Felicity, Remus and Sirius had been living together in the Black cousins' house at Magnolia Crescent so they used the Floo powder to get there.

Sirius had not been injured much so he was back to his normal self though he and Remus had helped carry Felicity to her room, despite her protests that she was fine and could go by herself. The two had left after placing her down on the bed and Marlene locked the door, fetching clean clothes for Fel to wear then went to the bathroom to fill the tub for her bath.

"Marls, what are you doing?"

"Just a second, sweetheart," she called back, "you'll see soon."

Making sure that the water was the right temperature, she stepped out and gently lifted Felicity in her arms, carrying her in to the bathroom.

Fel's fingers curled at the loose blonde strands that had escaped the bun Marlene had pulled up in a haste, "you guys are making me feel like a helpless two year old and I do not like it one bit."

A smile threatened to break out on her face as her bright eyes connected with her blue irises, "oh yeah? I doubt that."

She put her down on her feet but her arm was draped round her waist, holding her securely. Felicity's legs were injured so she very carefully made her sit on the chair she had taken in earlier.

A beautiful crimson donned her cheeks as Marlene's fingers deftly unbuttoned her shirt, her eyes lingering on the cuts that dented her otherwise clear white skin. The deep gashes of red contrasted against the pale complexion and Felicity noticed that her olive green eyes flickered slightly as if in pain to see those cuts.

"I will be fine," she repeated reassuringly, her hand reaching out to caress her companion's concerned face.

"You better be," she replied back, "it's not easy seeing you hurt."

Removing her clothes cautiously, Marlene gently lowered her down into the bath tub, her heart churned as Felicity winced a little when her cuts came in contact with the lukewarm water. Marlene took great care in scrubbing off the soot and dust, cleaning her cuts as well.

Her fingers were massaging the shampoo in her jet back hair, Fel's eyes had fluttered shut from fatigue when she spoke up, "Marlene, I might fall asleep right here."

"You're tired, I wouldn't be surprised if you did."

"And yet I feel so bad putting you in so much trouble."

Her eyes fluttered open when a pair of sweet lips touched hers and blue gazed straight in olive green. "This is no trouble," Marlene whispered amid the kiss, her fingers working up the lather before carefully rinsing it off, "I love taking care of you. I just don't want you to get hurt like this again."

"I could say I'll try my best not to get hurt but we're in a war, Marls. Anything can happen... To anyone..."

Her words were true because indeed they were in the middle of a disastrous war with no knowing what the next second held in store for them. There was no certainty of how much time they had left with each other, no certainty if the next moment could be their last.

Marlene seemed to have read what was going in her mind for she spoke up, "I know... It's not the best of times but Fel, I can't bear to let our love go to waste. So what if we are in the middle of a war? So what if we don't know if we will live to see another day or not? We will make the most of what we have. Together."

She drained out the water and gently wrapped her delicate body in the towel, carrying her out to the bedroom. A shiver raked through Felicity's body as she snuggled closer to her companion, her head resting on her shoulder and her eyes fluttering shut again.

Marlene helped her change into the clean set of clothes but as she was about to stand up and go back to put the other clothes in the wash, Fel's hand closed on to her wrist, stopping her.

"Marlene, if the war ended and if we still have each other, would you be mine forever?" 

The statement took her by surprise as she looked at her with wide uncertain eyes, not a single word passing her lips. Felicity was never one to take the first step; she was always shy, always waiting for Marlene to take decisions but right then she had voiced out the question that she had kept buried in her heart for long.

"When the war ends, will you marry me?"

"When the war ends..."

"Yes," blue eyes locked with olive green in a sincere look, "and it will end soon, it has to. I know it."

She leaned closer to her, a gentle smile gracing her features as she replied right before connecting their lips together, "yes. Yes, I will."

***