Chapter 57

~ You're not alone, together we stand,

I'll be by your side, you know, I'll take your hand. ~

***

White haze engulfed her as striking green eyes fluttered open. The pain had subsided but everything was unclear. She felt her hand being held in a familiar protective grip and slowly but steadily the haze dissolved into clarity.

The blank white surroundings reminded her of St Mungo's and though she had a vague memory of coming to that place, the heavy medication given to her had somehow numbed the rest of her senses.

She gently squeezed the hand that was entwined through hers and in response, James's features swam into view, a bright smile dancing upon his lips.

Seeing him made her feel safe and at home, no matter how numb she felt otherwise. If James was with her, everything would definitely be alright.

"My beautiful Lily flower," his soft voice greeted her, "how are you feeling now?"

"Numb..." Her voice was slightly hoarse as it was difficult for her to speak just then.

"Don't worry, you will be okay soon," he reassured her, pressing a soft kiss on her forehead, "and would you look at the precious gift God has blessed us with?"

At that remark, she realized James was holding something. Or rather someone.

In his arms, wound up in a soft baby blanket, was their new born son. She craned her neck to get a closer look but James helped her sit up and gently gave the child in her arms.

Lily looked at her first born for the first time, her green eyes welling up with tears for it was indeed an overwhelming moment. James had sat down on the chair beside her bed, his hand gently stroking the child's dainty fingers in his own.

And at that moment all Lily could think of was the pure happiness she felt at becoming a mother to that beautiful little boy in her arms. For that instant, all thoughts of that boy being the savior to wizardkind and the war looming over them faded into the background.

All she could think of was that she was finally holding her son and he was the most precious thing in the whole wide world to her.

James watched his wife and son with a fond look in his hazel irises. Despite the war and the chaos breaking out everywhere, it was a beautiful moment for the Potters, in fact one of the happiest days of their lives.

"James... He's beautiful."

"Just like you," he added, "he's asleep right now or else you would have seen his eyes. Bright green, just like yours."

"Oh..." She gently kissed the baby's hand, her eyes softening in adoration, "I feel so blessed."

"So do I."

The door to their room opened and in stepped Sirius, rather disheveled from the Order mission he had just returned from, but in extremely high spirits. "Oi, Prongs, how dare you not let me meet Prongslet first?"

"Technically, out of my friends, you will be meeting him first," James replied, noticing that behind Sirius were Remus and Peter and further back were Felicity and Marlene.

"Such a pity, Black, can't even wait for the mother to see her son properly," Marlene smacked him on the head per habit, making Sirius duck in alarm. Turning to James and Lily, she added with a soft smile on her face, "congratulations."

"Congratulations!" The rest of them cheered as well, the silent room where only James and Lily had been now becoming crowded and quite colorful with all the happy faces around them.