Chapter 27

~ This could be the best day of my life

Been dreamin' day and night about the fun we've had. ~

***

For the first time in his life, James Potter actually felt like his sixth year passed much faster than the others. With all the Quidditch practices plus matches, the daily classes as well as the extra lessons in the library, he couldn't find any time to stop and think of where all the time was going.

But then he had his eye on a major prize waiting at the end; the promised date with Lily Evans. To him, he was taking part in a race and just had to covet the trophy waiting at the finish line. And of course while one is running in a race, he hardly has any time to slow down and think of what else is happening around him.

Felicity had managed to get Lily on her side and persuaded her to agree in going on a date with Potter if and only if he achieved good grades in the class tests. Lily too agreed because just like Sirius, she too hardly doubted that James would be able to score that well.

But it seemed as if Felicity had had an upper hand this once because she was absolutely correct in judging that given the right target, James could easily reprogram himself and prove himself to be up to the expectations.

At last, the test results came and much to the utter surprise of all teachers and the disappointment of Sirius Black, James Potter did manage to ace all the subjects with remarkable grades.

Minerva McGonagall was quite proud of him and so were the other teachers, Horace Slughorn even invited him in the next Slug club party, and James couldn't stop grinning like he was a cat who had just got the cream.

And well in a sense, that too was correct.

On the other hand, Lily Evans was mourning her luck because now she would have to go on  date with that one person she supposedly couldn't tolerate.

"Ah come on Lily, he's not that bad," Felicity spoke, she and Lily were both sitting under a tree in the castle grounds, "he's just a little too talkative but I'm sure he won't say a word that bothers you as long as you do him the favor and accompany him to Hogsmeade."

"I liked you better when you hated him," Lily replied looking up from her book for a second, "but then I promised you so I'll have to do it. Still this is one big favor, Fel, you are forever in debt to me."

Felicity laughed, "I get it. So if the date goes horrible, which I hardly doubt, you can ask me to repay the debt in any way you want. And if it goes well then I won't be debted to you. Deal?"

She considered for a while then nodded, "deal."

"You know these four had once tried to set me up on a date with Remus," Felicity resumed thinking about that first Hogsmeade weekend she had truly enjoyed, "it didn't go horrible at all but me and Remus... We're just better off as friends."

"Uh hm," Lily straightened closing the book, "and why is that so? He's a quite decent guy and I'm sure the two of you would get along pretty nicely."

She shrugged, "you ever had that feeling that you're just not attracted to somebody in that kind of way? Like if you were asked to go on a date with Snape, it would be awkward right?"

"Ah I see," Lily nodded with an understanding look in her eyes, "so you have platonic feelings towards him."

"Yeah. And not just towards Remus. It's just with every guy I have ever befriended. I'm just... How should I put it... Not interested in boys."