Chapter 32

~ I hope you can hear me, I remember it clearly

The day you slipped away was the day I found it won't be the same. ~

***

In the town church a little gathering was assembled, including Magnolia Crescent's residents and some other people, for Alphard Black's funeral. A solemn air hung about the premises with every attendant dressed in black, symbolizing loss and grieving.

The ceremony had been done, the coffin's lid was shut and Alphard's face vanished never to be seen again. Felicity stood there like a statue not able to comprehend the situation. 

It was all too sudden for her. She had just found her father after years of separation and in a single year she lost him again, only this time it was for ever. 

Gradually the mourners began to disperse. Esther and Stefan had come to take her with them but she silently refused. After a while there was no one in the mourning hall except Felicity, Sirius and his friends who were asking him of how it all happened.

Gathering all the strength in her, she climbed the steps to the elevated structure where the coffin was placed. For the first time ever since Alphard had passed away, a tear streaked down her cheek. And just like that tear fell down, she too dropped down to her knees, kneeling beside the coffin. Her hand trembled as it rested on the lid and to her it seemed as if her most precious thing was taken away from her.

Her eyes were fixed on the closed coffin as if she could see Alphard's face right through. "Father...," her voice came out in a choked whisper as another tear rolled down, "why... Why couldn't you stay... with me a little longer?"She placed her head on the coffin, shaking from the sobs that she was trying to hold inside her.

On the other hand, the three Marauders, Lily and a few other people from their school were leaving and Sirius was bidding farewell to them. James, however, was looking silently at the frail girl who sat beside the coffin weeping. He didn't know it was Felicity nor did anyone else because throughout the funeral she had stayed in the shadows, stiff as a statue not looking behind at anyone else.

"Sirius, who is she?" he finally asked as he couldn't figure out why the girl seemed so familiar to him.

Sirius turned to see where James had pointed. "Well... She... She's my cousin," he answered cautiously.

"Your Uncle had a daughter?' James asked.

"Yeah, he did. His marriage wasn't disclosed because the rest of the family were not going to approve of it," he chose his words very carefully knowing that Fel wouldn't want James to know of her relation to him.

His brow furrowed as if he was still pondering over it, "does she go to Hogwarts? Because I can't put my finger on it but I think I've seen her somewhere. Not once, but many times."

"It could have been a coincidence," Sirius replied suddenly making him even more suspicious.

But James decided he would not push the matter further and ask him properly later on. Saying their goodbyes, they made their way out of the church. All except James who stopped in a corner, making sure Sirius thought he had left.

After Sirius was sure they were all gone, he walked to the coffin where Felicity was still kneeling down. She wanted to cry out loud, she wanted to let out all the smoke that was building up inside of her but no matter how much she tried , her tears wouldn't pour except for an occasional streak down her cheek or so.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Sirius. He appeared as broken as she felt and she knew he was the only one who could fully understand her state. Taking her hand, he helped her stand up and soon as she was on her feet, she flung her arms around his neck. The tears she had so wanted to let go of finally started to pour ceaselessly. He wrapped his arms around her as she dissolved in tears. 

James stood in the corner watching both of them. He had realized by now why she felt so familiar. He observed that her height was exactly the same as Felicity as she barely reached Sirius's elbows. He didn't know why but deep inside he felt that Sirius's cousin was none other than Felicity.

"James we've been searching all over for you," Remus's voice shook him out of his reverie. "We should be leaving," he spoke when he saw that James hadn't budged. Remus knew he had to get him out before he realized that the secret daughter was his Ravenclaw best friend.

However, James only spoke one sentence, "why did Sirius and Fel never tell us they were related?"

Remus dragged him out, "this isn't the time for this, trust me."

Once they were outside the church, James faced him calmly, "you knew about these two all along, didn't you?"

Rem knew the cat was out of the bag now and there was no use in lying, "yes, I did."

James shook his head in slight disappointment but said nothing, much to Remus's surprise. "You're disappointed?"

He shrugged, "nah... Just a little. Here I was planning to set them up together and look how fates cracked up my OTP."

It took a whole minute for his words to sink in but soon a slight smile spread on Remus's face, "don't you dare hint it to Felicity."

"What do you take me for? Of course I won't. I'm not that stupid to die so young."

***