Chapter 7.5

Harry couldn't help the smile from creeping into his face as Hagrid whispered his welcome and stated over and over again that he's glad to have Harry back at Hogwarts. Harry had similar sentiments and told Hagrid that he's glad to see old friends and familiar faces. He patted Hagrid's hand on the table and the half-giant turned weepy.

Harry turned his attention back to the dais where the fifth student, a girl named Olivia DeLeon, was Sorted into Gryffindor. Harry thought it fitting since he recognized the last name and knew it meant "of the lion". Gryffindor table erupted in cheers and the shy, raven-haired petite made her way to her new House.

"Edward Lupin."

His tall, gangly godson whose hair was currently blonde and eyes gold made his way to the stool and sat. Professor McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on his head and stepped back. Harry was confident Teddy would be placed in either Hufflepuff or Gryffindor due to his parents' history.

"Gryffindor!" yelled the Sorting Hat. The Sorting Hat was plucked from his head and Teddy joined the cheering table of red and gold. Harry grinned and made a note to owl Remus.

The crowd of first years was shrinking as they were sorted into their respective Houses. Professor McGonagall, with her unwavering voice as clear as ever, continued her reading of names from the parchment.

"Nathaniel Ronald Weasley."

Harry could see his other godson tense as he approached the chair. Harry had no doubt though, for he knew the Weasley history. There had never been a Weasley Sorted differently, and if Harry was a betting man, he would bet his entire fortune that Nate would be sorted into -

"Gryffindor!" The Sorting Hat yelled as its brim barely touched Nate's brow. The boy visibly calmed and Harry smiled as Nate joined Teddy and the other cheering Gryffindors on the long table by the middle of the hall.

Professor McGonagall paused for a moment before continuing.

"Daniel James Watson."

A boy Harry recognized though he couldn't remember from where gulped as he stepped onto the dais. The Sorting Hat was placed atop his head and Harry studied the boy trying to discern where he had seen him before. He saw that the boy seemed close to Nate and Teddy, though he didn't recognize him as one of Nate's or Teddy's friends from before. Harry concluded that they probably met on their journey here. Squinting his green eyes to study the boy closer, he was sure he had seen his face before and it's driving him mad that he couldn't remember where.

Unlike the other Sortings, the Sorting Hat was taking its time to decide where Daniel James Watson belonged. Harry knew the feeling, for the Sorting Hat conversed with him privately inside his head for a few minutes during his own Sorting, before finally placing him in Gryffindor like he wanted. He wondered what the Sorting Hat was telling the boy right now since Daniel James seemed to be in such deep concentration.

Another minute passed and still the Sorting Hat did not make a decision. The Hall was quiet and all eyes were on the young boy. Harry could see the boys' brows furrowed but he didn't seem to be worried anymore. He seemed to be at peace as he conversed with the Hat inside his head and Harry had to admire him for his calmness. Harry's eyes swept through the Hall once more and landed on Professor McGonagall who was watching the boy. Harry noticed the tension in her posture, and she remembered how shocked and almost distressed she looked when he was announced as the new Defence professor. Minerva had grown to be a friend over these years, and she and Harry would owl each other whenever their schedules permit. It's been a long time since they'd actually seen each other face to face, but Harry thought they were still close. If Molly Weasley was like a mother figure to him, then Minerva McGonagall was like his aunt. It had hurt when she refused to meet his eyes during his introduction and Harry made a note to speak to her after the students had gone to bed. What's curious, though, was how she was watching Daniel James Watson's Sorting so intently. She didn't seem to be that invested with the other students' Sortings, but here she was with her gaze unwavering on the boy with the Hat.

"Gryffindor!"

Harry saw the boy's smile stretch across his face and he mouthed a 'thank you' before hopping off the chair and joining his fellow Gryffindors. He could see Nate and Teddy cheering wildly as Daniel James sat between the two boys. Harry had to smile as he saw his godsons and their new friend. Shifting his gaze slightly to the left, Harry caught sight of McGonagall again. The older lady was now looking at the three boys with a small smile on her face, all the tension gone from her system.

After a Thomas Snyde and an Eleanor Green were Sorted into Slytherin and Ravenclaw respectively, the Sorting finally ended and the Sorting Hat removed from the dais. Dumbledore stood from his seat and regarded his school once again.

"First years and new faculty, welcome to Hogwarts," he said, eyes sweeping the hall and nodding at Harry. "For all others, welcome back! Another full year of magical learning awaits us. Your schedules will be handed out at breakfast tomorrow and your classes will officially begin after. Like always, the Forbidden Forest is strictly forbidden and our caretaker, Mr. Filch, had asked me to remind you that the new list of banned items had been posted on his office door. Use of such items will lead to detention so please try not to cause too much mischief." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as he looked at the young Weasley boy. "Without further ado, tuck in!"

At his words, trays and platters of different kinds of foods appeared on the tables much to James' delight. There were bangers and mash, roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, fish and chips, casserole dishes filled with shepherd's pie and chicken pot pie, all sorts of meats and cheeses, and boiling pots of different soups. The dessert trays were stacked as well, and James could see treacle tarts, pumpkin pies, cheesecakes, and different kinds of cakes and cookies. This was the most food James had seen all at once and he eagerly piled his plate with his favourite dishes.

"Dad told me that Hogwarts has the BEST food." Nate said while eating a turkey leg.

Teddy nodded eagerly and ate a mouthful of mashed potatoes.

James had to smile as he watched his friends consume their meals and his eyes drifted again to the front table. Much to his disappointment, the Stormbreaker 360 was gone and he watched Professor Potter converse with a dark haired man with a long nose.

"Why do you keep looking at Uncle Harry, er, Professor Potter, James?" Teddy asked curiously.

James grinned sheepishly. "I saw that he had this broom that I saw at Diagon Alley."

Nate nodded his head furiously. "Dad and Uncle Ha- bah! It's going to be hard not calling him Uncle. I mean to say, Dad and Professor Potter are big Quidditch fans. Dad got an owl from him recently saying he's bought the newest Stormbreaker 360! Fastest broom on the market currently though with a lot of unusual charms. Guess it'll be great for an Auror though... but he's really not an Auror right now, is he? Since he's our new professor?"

Teddy shrugged and looked at the front table. "I thought he always loved being an Auror. Dad said he's the best Auror he had ever seen."

James look curiously at Teddy. "Is your dad an Auror too, Teddy?"

"Yeah. He actually works in the same team as Professor Potter. Uncle Harry's the squad leader. He's been an Auror since he graduated. We really had no idea he would be the new professor..."

James looked at the new professor with a knowing look in his eyes. From his readings, he knew what Aurors were trained to do. Their main purpose was to uphold the wizard law, and this meant protecting the innocent and catching those who practice in dark magic. This meant apprehending very dangerous people and risking their lives every time they go out on missions.

"Maybe that's why he decided to become a professor. It can't be easy being an Auror for all those years." James said as he watched Harry Potter converse with another.

The two boys could only nod as they got back to their meals.