93

"Greeting lady Harper. We've met earlier." Evelina greeted Harper warmly. Her smile was gentle, seeming completely harmless.

"This one greets lady Evelina. Indeed. Is there something lady Evelina needs from me? I can't stay with you too long, as I have to entertain and greet the other guests..." Harper stated nervously.

"....." Hearing her words, Evelina's gentle smile turned stiff. ' Was this village bumpkin implying that she wasn't worth her time!? '

"You! How could yo-" Before lady Sonia could continue, she was stopped by Evelina.

"..." Harper flinched. Slightly frightened due to Sonia's sudden outburst.

"I'm sorry! Did she frighten you, lady Harper. I apologies on her behalf. I, of course, understand your humble intentions. Of course you can't lend me all you time. I sincerely apologies." Due to Evelina 'sincere' apology, Harper's face turned to one filled with guilt.

"Oh no no! It's not your fault lady Evelina! There's no need for you to apologies!" Harper said in a rushed manner.

"Lady Harper is indeed kind..." Evelina's expression softened. Then she added, "Lady Harper seem to heavily admire my younger sister."

"Indeed...lady Angelina is a respectable lady." Harper stated as she fiddled with her fingers.

"Hah!? A respectable lady? She's nothing but a rude, obnoxious, and hateful woman! She can't be compared to lady Evelina, who is gentle, generous, and humble." lady Sonia immediately disagreed. To her, it was already strange why Angelina had such a respectable reputation. How could anyone praise such an arrogant and detestable lady!?

"Lady Angelina isn't that type of person..." Harper tried to defend Angelina. But her words didn't impact Sonia at all. Her tone was too cautious and cowardly. Sonia didn't care at all.

"That's because you have only met her today! Lady Harper has no idea how rude lady Angelina is! She even purposely spilled tea on me!" Sonia said as she clenched her hand into a fist.

"Lady Sonia! Don't speak of my sister like that! I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding!" Evelina interrupted and attempted to 'save her younger sister's name.'

"My lady, I won't let that evil woman torment you! She is cruel and heartless, she doesn't deserve your sympathy!" Lady Sonia continued to speak against Angelina. She thought it was about time more people knew about Angelina's 'disgusting personality'

"Torment...?" Harper muttered quietly.

But Sonia was near enough to hear her quiet mutter clearly.

"Indeed! Don't let her fool you with her pretty face, lady Harper! Without her looks, she's nothing! Everyone else is too blinded by her charming appearence to question her true character!"

"No that's not true....lady Angelina doesn't seem to be that type of person..." Harper unconsciously backed away a few steps.

"Lady Sonia. Please. My sister didn't do anything. The last incident regarding my injury was merely an accident..." Evelina stated. Her expression grew sad and pained.

"What does lady Evelina mean by an accident? That woman purposely injured you arm! Don't be so merciful with her, just because she's your sister!"

"I...." Evelina became 'speechless.'

"I....I think I must go greet the other guests..." Harper slowly retreated. She didn't know what to believe anymore. But both of their emotions and facial expressions look so real...

Staring at the brown haired lady who was fleeing. Evelina struggled to hide her sneer.

She wasn't sure if Harper was running away from them, or running away from the 'truth'.

Things went better than she had expected. Thanks to her 'little pawn', she didn't even to say much. All she needed to do was to act like a good sister.

She didn't even say manipulative words, and yet Harper already believed her.

'Truly a naive and innocent girl... She won't last long, expesially here...' Evelina's eyes darkened. She felt a slight pity. But this 'pity' was only the size of an ant.

She looked around and felt relieved. The party was too loud, luckily no one paid attention or heard them.

************

"......."

"Lady Angelina...?" Arianna called to the lady beside her.

"Hm? My apologies. I was distracted." Angelina let out a smile.

"It's no bother." the blank expression on Arianna's face remained.

"Excuse me ladies. I will be getting myself something to drink." Angelina stood up after excusing herself.

She walked over to the side of the ballroom, and approached the long table, covered with a layer of food and drinks.

She reached out her hand to grab a glass of grape juice, but before she could, someone gently tapped her shoulders.

She looked back and was stunned.

"Excuse me, young lady. Pardon this servant for asking, but have your grace seen my lady Harper?" The maid asked, while lowering her . She looked to be around 25. Her mannerisms were gentle and polite.

Angelina could reconize her in a heartbeat.

"Emma...?" The name escaped her lips.

"Huh? How does your grace know me?" She asked. Quite puzzled.

"I...I heard about you from lady Harper..." Angelina forced out a smile and calmed herself.

"Oh so your grace has seen her! Her grace the Marchioness has been looking for her... But this lowly maid can't find her." Emma seemed to believe her.

"Perhaps try checking the garden if lady Harper isn't here." Angelina was finally able to recover from her earlier shock.

"This servant will. Thank you, your grace." Emma bowed before walking away.

"..." Angelina felt slightly conflicted. That was Emma, her first rank maid in her past life. She was sure of it.

'So she has become lady Harper's maid huh...' although Angelina felt slightly saddened, she was also relieved.

Emma wouldn't be bullied by the other servants since she is now the first rank maid of a master. Angelina no longer had to worry.

***************
Angelina took her glass of grape juice and decided to walk around the ballroom, to exercise her legs.

But she didn't expect to hear something she probably shouldn't have.

As she was passing a group of ladies, she heard the familiar voice of Marchioness Chandler.

"Hahah...what about your daughter, your grace Marchioness Chandler?" A noble women laughed.

"Ugh. Don't call her my daughter. That little wretched girl is terribly annoying. Everytime I hear her call me mother, my spine chills." Marchioness Chandler made a disgusted expression. She couldn't stand Arianna. She too had a daughter but...

"I don't understand what's so unpleasant of having lady Arianna as a stepdaughter. She seems well behaved and intelligent enough." One lady said curiously.

"Of course your grace doesn't understand. If you were in my shoes, you would understand. Hmph. She's pathetic. So desperate for attention after her mother commuted suicide..." Marchioness Chandler mocked and laughed.

"Your grace! We shouldn't be talking about that incident... After all..even his majesty the Emperor was angered by that incident..." One of the ladies warned.

"Pfft... None of you are going to tell on me right?" Marchioness Chandler was quite confident. She was sure no one, aside from her friends, would find out about her disgust towards her stepdaughter.

She wasn't aware of Angelina, who was standing quietly behind a pillar near her group.

"....."