111

"Well... I'll be going now." Eric picked up his plate and left. He didn't want to get involved in trouble. As some say: "ignorance is bliss"

"....."

************

"Oh my Lord!"

"Why would she do this...?" 

"How pityful..."

There, before them was Carol's dead hanging body. She 'hanged herself' in front of the back staircase, which was used by the servants.

When Angelina arrived, she saw a crowd of people around the hanging corpse, whispering. Aside from them, there is a small group of people comforting the weeping Evelina.

"It's my fault! I should've stopped her! No... I should've never brought her with me to that event...!" Evelina wept on the ground and she wiped her tears with the handkerchief Carol embroidered for her.

It wasn't very beautiful. It was simple. But it made Evelina look even more sincere and pityful.

"Lady Evelina... It will be alright..." The servants tried to console her.

"Please don't cry eldest lady..."

"Don't cry m'lady... Carol wouldn't want to see you like this if she was still here."

But Evelina turned deaf ears to their comforts and rushed in front of Carol's hanging body. Then she began to beg for forgiveness.

"I'm so sorry Carol! Please forgive me!" Eveline cried and cried, immediately causing pain in the servant's hearts

The servants helped her up and supported her trembling body while they carried her away.

"....." Angelina couldn't help but look at Carol. Angelina didn't feel sympathy. But she did feel pity. This was definitely not a suicide.

"Miss... Can we go back... I... I don't wanna see this anymore..." Marie pulled on Angelina's sleeve, her face pale.

"Okay." Angelina nodded and took Marie away.

**************
Half an hour later, the whole Skyler family, exept the duchess, were gathered in the dining room. It wasn't just them though. The head maid was present. But the other servants were not allowed to.

"Eve, I know this hard for you. But tell me what happened." The duke asked Evelina with a solemn face.

Evelina continued to wipe her overflowing tears. Alex was there beside her, trying to calm her down.

"I... It might be because... On viscount Perdonley's mother's birthday... Carol was... She..." Evelina explained everything but she made sure to exaggerate how shocked she was.

After being told of what occured, the duke's face darkened. He looked calm, but also really mad. And Angelina didn't seem to be the only one who noticed.

The duke sighed and told Evelina it will be alright.

Seeing the duke had calmed down slightly, Alex found the courage to speak.

"Now that Carol is... Won't be able to serve Eve, who will act as her personal maid now?" Alex spoke while still gently patting Evelina's arm.

"Call the other maids!" The duke paused before shouting to the head maid.

"Yes, your grace." The head maid bowed and left to get the maids. She came back a few minutes later.

"My Lord, they are all gathered in the lobby." The head maid came back and reported.