140

"Evelina! Are you insane!? What has gotten into you! Do you know what you've done!?" As the duke raised his arm, Beatrice knew what was about to come next. She didn't know how or why but it was like her legs had a mind of its own. Without too much thought, Beatrice stepped in between her daughter and husband, taking the slap for Evelina. She just knew, knew that she can't merely stand aside like a coward anymore!

Evelina slowly raised her head and stared dumbfoundedly at the mother she despised for so long. Her pupils shrank and her body was trembling.

After receiving such a hard hit, Beatrice sighed in relief. She did it. She finally did it. Yes, she did feel scared and she still does. But there was a strange sense of accomplishment in her heart mixed with the terror.

The duke however, was the most stunned out of everyone else present. This weak and fragile woman actually dared to meddle in his matters!? Who does she think she is!? Beatrice's actions only enraged his anger further and this anger was about to burst out.

"You b*tch!" He cursed as he pulled her silver locks with immense strength and threw her to the ground. She didn't scream, she didn't beg for mercy like before, she just endured the pain and kept her silence. On the ground, the stunning beauty was stained with dirt and her hair was turned into a mess. There were a few sharp stones hidden in the dirt, which caused a few scratches to appear on her previously fair white skin.

"Father! Stop!" Alex pleaded as he saw his father raise his foot to kick the women. But his father was never a man who would listen to others when in the fit of rage. Without hesitation, the father punched his own son, causing him a bruise to appear. Evelina watched the scene before her in a daze. She knew this would happen and she had already prepared herself but things really didn't go as expected. The scene played for a few but painful minutes until the duke managed to calm himself down and took them home.

As the carriage set off for the Skyler estate, a figure emerged from behind a large three. It was a slender young woman with long silky brown hair and a sweet face. Her eyes were hollow but also filled with pity. However she didn't seem surprised. Harper waited until the carriage disappeared into the distance before slowly returning to the lively ballroom.

***********

The people inside were oblivious to what had happened. They all cheered as they danced around the ballroom, laughing and chatting. But the one most happy is clearly the new princess that was currently being flooded with praises.

"Congratulations, lady Angelina! Or should I say... Your highness, Princess Lilith."

"The gown is amazing! Your highness looks gorgeous wearing it!"

"Oh, you flatter me...!" Lilith laughed. For a brief moment, she saw Harper's figure amongst the crowd before losing sight of her. After a short second, she turned away, only to find Harper right in front of her. The girl smiled before curtsying respectfully.

"Lady Harper, you moved so fast, I was frightened!" Alice jumped in shock.

"Calm down, Alice. Really, you're too easily scared! Toughen up a bit!" Rienne sighed but her gaze was encouraging. Alice looked at her and smiled energetically.

"Your right! I need to get stronger! I won't let lady Evelina be able to control me any longer!" Alice stated firmly, her eyes shining with confidence and determination.

"Speaking of lady Evelina... She really made a fool of herself didn't she?" With her words, Arianna changed the topic to Evelina easily, causing the noble ladies to remember her recent foolish behavior and ridicule her.

"Hm, and to think I used to admire her greatly... Such a shame."

"I always had a faint suspicion against her but I didn't have much proof so I forgot about it. Now it seems I should've trusted my instincts long ago..."