4

"Miss I'm back!, huh? What are you doing miss?" Angelina look up at Marie who just came back and said,

"Well I'm a reading a book Marie." She wasn't sure why Marie was so dumbfounded, perhaps the original Angelina wasn't very interested in reading?

"I didn't know miss liked to read these types of books! My miss is genius!" Marie praises her for doing the most insignificant of tasks, she truly does worry for this girl but her temperament is very fitting for a child. The past Angelina must've enjoyed having such a cute and joyful maid like her.

"Well miss it's lunch time now, the duke, duchess, and first miss is waiting in the dining room for you" Marie informed her with a warm smile.

"Oh, then please take me there" Angelina nodded and left for the dining room along with Marie.

*****

When Angelina entered the dining room, waiting there was her new family. As expected, the duke sat on the head seat. What she didn't expect was how impatient this duke was. She had just entered and yet she was already receiving a berating. What a warm welcome...

"Angelina! This is your first time dining with your family in years! And yet you are late!" The duke scolded. His patience is really limited, Angelina was late for at most two minutes. She was never told how strict this Skyler family's rules were.

"Father don't be mad... Sister didn't mean to be late! She's probably too tired to come due to the long travel, we shouldn't blame her." Evelina said.

"..." Angelina felt the urge to scoff, but she suppressed it. Was Evelina dumb or was there really intention in her words? Didn't her words just tell everyone present that Angelina was too lazy to spend time with her family? She had always suspected there was something behind that sweet facade.

"Angelina you should be more like your sister!" The duke again shouted.

"Apologies, father." Angelina said. She was too tired, all she wanted to do at the moment was to eat a good meal and return to rest in her room. Honestly, is this how they treat their daughter who has just returned from the doors of death? Compared to how Duke Skyler treats Evelina and Alex, Angelina seems like thorns in his eyes. Though she too was his daughter now, she felt disgusted to call him father. There was clearly something going on, it appears that the Skyler family is not as perfect as they seem to be when I'm front of the aristocrats.

"Well, we all should calm down now... Bring the food in!" The duchess that has been sitting silently with a worried look was the one who broke the awkward silence. The maids brought the food in and the meal went on peacefully. Peacefully because everyone aside from Duchess Skyler ignored Angelina's presence.

******

The days went by pretty uneventfully. Angelina mostly spent her time reading in her room with Marie. The duke has been busy these days since the duke had opened up a new store in the capital. The only time Angelina saw all of her family members in one room was when they occasionally eat together, and even then it felt like most were turning a blind eye to her.

One day, Angelina was reading books in her room while being accompanied by Marie as usual, when someone knocked on her bedroom door.

"Good morning sister!" Marie opened the door to find Evelina and her personal maid behind it.

"Big sister, what are you doing here...?"

"Well dear sister, I thought we should spend more time together! I thought we could drink tea together in the garden and catch up! I've already prepared everything!"