116

"Lily, your father is the duke."

".... Say that again?"

"Lily, you... You are the duke's Illegitimate child..." Charles stated with fear hidden in his eyes. He knew how much pride she had in herself. Being an illegitimate child is definitely a large blow...

Angelina's face turned ashen. She suddenly felt bitterness in her mouth. Angelina lowered her head while trying to control her raging temper and ordered, "Tell me everything."

Charles obediently nodded and told her everything he knew about her parents.

----------------------

Lilith's mother, Persephone Roselyn Castilla, was the only daughter of a powerful and rich merchant, Lucius Josephine Castilla.

The Castilla family was one of the most respected and influential merchant families in the empire. But an incident happened which led to the Castilla family declaring bankruptcy.

Persephone and her father moved in to a small wooden home located in the woods. Persephone would spend her days trying to find a job but that proved to be extremely difficult.

One day, Persephone was approached by a woman, who turned out to be the owner of a very popular brothel, the butterfly palace.

" Young maiden, I am the madam of the butterfly palace and your rare beauty has caught my eyes. It would be a shame to not put your dazzling good looks to use. I promise we'll treat you well and we also offer a fair amount of pay."

She was desperate. Her father's health was getting worse and worse. So she accepted.

She had only worked for the butterfly palace for two days before she met the duke. The young Duke Skyler was enchanted by Persephone's beauty and virtues personality. He immediately paid for her to accompany him.

After that night, the duke offered to take her out of the brothel and turn her into his mistress.

"Persephone, you have touched my heart. Let me take you away from here. Once you agree to be my mistress, I'll treat you very well and spoil you with the finest treasures."

But Persephone disagreed.

She had already experienced enough shame and humiliation when working as a prostitute. She didn't want to be a mistress. She wanted to protect whatever little dignity she still had.

The duke left in anger. But shortly after he left, Persephone found out she was pregnant.

After finding out, she left the butterfly palace.

She spent most of the money she earned by working in the butterfly palace on her father and the baby Lilith. But unfortunately, the sickly Lucius ended up passing.

After the grandfather's death, Persephone and Lilith relied on each other to live. They were poor hence they could only eat porridge everyday. Who would've known that one day, the porridge would be poisoned?

Persephone was preparing the porridge for her and her lovely daughter as usual.

"Mom Is it ready yet?" A pretty four year old girl poked her head out while eagerly waiting for her food.

"Just a minute dear! Let the porridge cool down first!" Persephone picked up the two hot bowls of porridge and placed them by the window.

"Why can't I eat it now?" The young curious Lilith asked her mother.

"Oh sweetie... If you eat food while it's still hot, it will burn your mouth." Persephone turned her back on the bowls of porridge and knelt down to coax her dear daughter.