133

After an hour of chatting, Arianna and Rienne were prepared to leave. Angelina went out with them to send them off, giving Beatrice and Evelina a moment alone.

As soon as the servants had dispersed, Evelina turned to the duchess and scoffed, "Thanks for helping me out earlier, mother! You were so helpful..." Evelina had a long spar of words with Arianna and Rienne, and yet Beatrice merely sat there with her head lowered! Not even saying anything!

"Eve, I..." Beatrice hesitated. She had always wanted to tell Evelina something, but as soon as she opened her mouth to speak, all the words she had prepared in her mind disappeared to nothing.

"Alright mother, I'll be going now!" Evelina smiled and turned to leave.

"Evelina," The duchess called, eyes red. She hesitated before adding, "I'm sorry..."

Evelina sneered, "Sorry for what? If it's about that... I'm afraid it's too late!" Then she left without looking back, leaving Beatrice standing there. She clutched her hands and wept silently. She didn't want to always cry, but she didn't know what else to do. She really didn't have a choice back then! And even to this day...

"Mother, why are you crying?" Angelina's voice sounded behind her. Beatrice slowly turned around and pulled Angelina in for an embrace. Angelina wasn't surprised and patted the duchess's back gently, "What's wrong mother?"

"Lina, I'm a useless mother, aren't I? It's my fault they turned out this way. If only I..." She sighed, "Lina, thank you. Your the only person I can talk to. My, I feel so pathetic at times. Shouldn't I, as your mother, be the one to comfort you? Haha, instead it's the other way around. I'm sorry if I trouble you"

"Mother, it's alright. I don't blame you for anything." Angelina assured but she couldn't help but wonder, what is it? What's the matter that has been haunting the duchess? Everytime she asked, the duchess would either get scared and stop talking, or change the topic.

But she'll find out sooner or later.

******

The ballroom was filled with aristocrats in beautiful gowns and suits chatting in groups. Some were even discussing business, while others were merely gossiping. The imperial family had not arrived, they were all just killing time and waiting.

The Skyler family entered and everyone averted their attention to them. Gasps sounded as people's eyes were attracted to Evelina.

"What is she wearing!?"

"Hahahaha! When did Lady Evelina's style become so corrupted?"

"She has taken 'humbling' to a whole nother level..."

"That gown is the ugliest thing I have ever seen..."

" ... " Evelina stood behind the rest of the Skyler family with her head down. She had never been so humiliated! It's all because of this hideous dress!

Marchioness Casspan looked at Evelina and frowned. She turned to her son and whispered, "Chase, that girl is really... Unsuitable. What dress is that? Does she think his majesty's birthday is a joke? When you dance to her, tell her to never do this again. Not only will it damage her family reputation, but also our's"

"I will, mother." Chase nodded, his expression cold. He could tell this was the result of a scheme a certain someone had made but strangely... He didn't feel pity or anger like he used to. He knew Evelina deserved this. Everytime his mind would wander off to the time where she looked at him with such disgust, hatred filled his heart and he had the urge to strangle her. He really did love her before. He actually thought her feelings for him were sincere! But turns all he was in her eyes was a tool!