2

"you know you don't have to do this" i whisper as he pulls into his long driveway leading up to his huge house.

"i know, but it's okay really. i don't mind." he says as he puts his car in park and we both hope out. we walk to the door and he unlocks it and we both walk inside.

i gasp at how big the inside is. "your house is so big" my eyes light up as i look around at everything.

chris let's out a chuckle as he walks to the kitchen. "i'm going to make something for you to eat and then i want to talk okay?" he shouts from the distance

i take off my wet shoes at the door and i set down his jacket on the chair that's set by the door. i follow the sound of chris making food, leading me into the kitchen. i stand in the door way, unsure of what to do.

"you can sit down at the island if you want" he points to the stool chairs.

i make my way over to the chairs and sit down on one, bring my hands to rest in between my legs.

"so can you tell me why you were on that bridge tonight?" he finally speaks up

"um.." i stay quiet

"you were going to jump?" he finally asks and my silence answers his question

"rue your only 11 years old, you have your whole life ahead of you. why would you want to die?" he asks

"at this point i don't really see my life going anywhere's. i don't want it to, not if it's at that foster house." i sigh as chris hands me a grilled cheese "thank you"

"well why don't you stay here for a while? i mean i can call social services and i could be like your new foster parent if that's okay with you?" chris says while he cleans up the kitchen and while i finish eating the sandwhich

"you'd let me stay with you? are you sure i would be a bother? i don't want to get in the way and cause you any trouble." i start spitting out responses

"ruby! it's okay! i wouldn't have suggested it if i didn't mind. i have this huge house and i live by myself! we could have some fun and get to know eachother, and if at any time you feel uncomfortable or aren't okay with something just tell me and we can talk about it. but if you want to stay and you want this to work out there needs to be communication okay?" he says and i can't help but jump of the stool and run over to him and wrap my arms around his torso, engulfing him in a huge hug.

"thank you so much chris" i mumble and he laughs rubbing his hands up and down my back hugging me back.

"now let's get you some dry clothes and off to bed. we can figure out the rest in the morning"

"okay" i whisper still keeping my arms around him